Dmitrij_1980 (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Russian to German
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting Sep 1, 2022

Michael Beijer wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

Dmitrij_1980 wrote:

Well, I would like to by cafetran, but licens activation is inconvenient. Everytime you have to contact the developer, if you want to change some hardware. And since view years there is no real progress in the software. For example: Memoq has already implemented DeppL´s glossary option, which is avalible since more then 1 year, but cafetran doesn´t has this important option.

[Edited at 2022-09-01 13:53 GMT]

Are you aware of the Proz Plus package? Very flexible licensing of CT.

Another way to get CafeTran is if you already have the Proz.com plus package, which always works, since all CT needs is your Proz.com login details to register and use the program.

this-is-great

That sounds more interesting, so the user is independent from cafetran support! And that´s good. Perhaps I will wait for the proz.com sale for the membership.
Thank you Michael!

Dmitrij_1980 (X)
Dmitrij_1980 (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Russian to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Sep 1, 2022

Thank´s to all of you for construtive advices!

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:39
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Sometimes it may not be a minor inconvenience Sep 2, 2022

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:
This is a minor inconvenience. I wouldn't dismiss CafeTran on this alone.

Support tickets for license issues are answered quickly, one day max in my experience (usually a few hours). How often do you replace your hardware anyway? Chances are you will need to buy a new three-year license (aka renew) before you replace a hard drive or PC.

Sometimes, for whatever reason, we might need the new license immediately. Also consider that time difference (7 hours for translators living on this side of the world) may hinder the developer's good will to respond immediately.

Another reason may be that we have more than two computers where CTE is installed at the same time (although not all used at the same time), or want to try different OSs, like in Linux for instance: how many licenses is the developer ready to send us other than the two canonical licenses?

When we buy one full CTE license, we are allowed to used it indefinitely provided than it's not updated, right? But, if after three years we are forced to request a new license because we changed OS or needed to replace the hard disk, we are required to buy CTE anew.

Contributing to the developer finances is perfectly understandable—and I'm still willing to do so although lately it seems (to me) that he has other priorities. And no, please, do not suggest to buy the Proz.com Plus package just to be able to do something that ideally should be incorporated into CTE in the same way many other CAT tools have been doing since long.

[Edited at 2022-09-02 03:49 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
The whole licensing infrastructure has already been implemented Sep 2, 2022

The whole licensing infrastructure has already been implemented (via Proz.com), so perhaps the developer can hire his own server and offer the same licensing method to direct clients too?

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:39
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Why should I have to pay Proz.com every year to useo CTE? Sep 2, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:
The whole licensing infrastructure has already been implemented (via Proz.com), so perhaps the developer can hire his own server and offer the same licensing method to direct clients too?

I don't need Proz.com paid services any more, so why should I have to pay every year for the Plus membership in order to benefit from the freedom CTE could give me directly? (By the way, would that be too difficult to implement?) Certainly I would prefer to pay something more every three years directly to the CTE developer.

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Direct activation Mar 14, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:

Hello Igor,

Any plans to offer direct activation / license management directly?

Cheers,

Hans

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Older CafeTran trial version to download

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »