LR, R, and G category - What do they mean?
Thread poster: Paul Ashton
Paul Ashton
Paul Ashton
China
Local time: 19:28
Chinese to English
+ ...
Apr 24, 2022

Hi all,

I'm new to CafeTran Espresso, using version 11.0.4 - Poppy Seed Roll.

In the translation units segment there is a category "G" and beneath it, the number of the segment. Some segments are denoted with "LR" and "R" - I'm not sure what these mean. I assume it's referring to duplicate translations with only number differences, but I want to make sure that the software will auto-populate, as I cannot translate the segments with the "LR" notation.

Thank
... See more
Hi all,

In the translation units segment there is a category "G" and beneath it, the number of the segment. Some segments are denoted with "LR" and "R" - I'm not sure what these mean. I assume it's referring to duplicate translations with only number differences, but I want to make sure that the software will auto-populate, as I cannot translate the segments with the "LR" notation.

Thank you!
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Ref files Apr 24, 2022

Paul Ashton wrote:

Hi all,

Thank you!

I've been looking and looking in the Reference Documents but I cannot find it. I'm pretty sure it's there.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Symbols Apr 25, 2022

I think "L" stands for Locked and "R" for Repeated segment. "LR" would be "Locked and Repeated".

By default, "Locked" segments are skipped (Action > Skip). Locked status can be disabled by right-clicking inside the Source segment editor box and deselecting "Locked segment".

For repeated segments, auto-propagation settings apply (which can be found in Preferences > Auto-propagation). This can be disabled on a per segment level by right-clicking inside the Source segment
... See more
I think "L" stands for Locked and "R" for Repeated segment. "LR" would be "Locked and Repeated".

By default, "Locked" segments are skipped (Action > Skip). Locked status can be disabled by right-clicking inside the Source segment editor box and deselecting "Locked segment".

For repeated segments, auto-propagation settings apply (which can be found in Preferences > Auto-propagation). This can be disabled on a per segment level by right-clicking inside the Source segment editor box and deselecting "Auto-propagation". Please note that for external projects, Auto-propagation settings might not be remembered across CafeTran sessions.

Propagated segments get the "P" status, and segments where auto-propagation has been manually disabled get the "nP" status.

"G" does not ring a bell.

[Edited at 2022-04-25 02:23 GMT]
Collapse

Paul Ashton
Paul Ashton
China
Local time: 19:28
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved and thanks Apr 25, 2022

Thank you both, this has been very helpful!

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Ref Apr 25, 2022

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

That's what I thought too. And I was sure that I woud find my hunch confirmed in the ref docs...

Locked status can be disabled by right-clicking inside the Source segment editor box and deselecting "Locked segment".

Only in native projects. For instance, if you want to change the lock in Studio files, you'll have to delete the string(s) ‘ locked="true"’ from the SDLXLIFF file(s).

Here neither.

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:28
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
A pop-up would be useful Apr 26, 2022

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Perhaps CTE could be provided with the way to show the meaning of those obscure symbols (and maybe others) by simply pointing the mouse over?

[Edited at 2022-04-26 06:58 GMT]

Hans Lenting

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

LR, R, and G category - What do they mean?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »