Seeking feedback on new ProZ.com social networking feature "My Network"
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 20:52
SITE STAFF
Mar 7, 2008

Hi everyone,

We're looking for feedback on some new social networking features that we're starting to add to the site. The purpose of these features is to let you maintain a list of your trusted friends and colleagues at ProZ.com, for use with various collaboration tools that will be developed.

You will notice a new box on the right side of the home page labeled "My Network". It allows you to quickly see the recent forum posts, KudoZ questions, and articles written by t
... See more
Hi everyone,

We're looking for feedback on some new social networking features that we're starting to add to the site. The purpose of these features is to let you maintain a list of your trusted friends and colleagues at ProZ.com, for use with various collaboration tools that will be developed.

You will notice a new box on the right side of the home page labeled "My Network". It allows you to quickly see the recent forum posts, KudoZ questions, and articles written by those in your network. We have many additional features planned to allow you easy collaboration and communication with your colleagues.

Click here to get started building your network.

Please try it out and let us know what you think. We'll appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Thanks and best regards,

Jason
Collapse

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:52
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Facebook for translators???? No thanks. Mar 7, 2008

I would prefer if the Proz glossaries where sorted out, and some other improvements.
Proz should more concentrate on it's core business. Adding more and more features to make it broader does IMO not improve the site. I would prefer more depth,

a) sort out the KOG
b) develop a better Web Term Search feature
c) Improve your "Utilities" area, the units converter there could do with an improvement
etc.

Siegfried

ChrisGT
ChrisGT  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
I'm trying it now! Mar 7, 2008

This is going to be a cool feature. I'm trying it now! Thanks!

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:52
Russian to English
+ ...
same Mar 7, 2008

ChrisGT wrote:

This is going to be a cool feature. I'm trying it now! Thanks!

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't see the appeal at all Mar 8, 2008

I don't see the use of this feature at all, but if people like it I don't see the harm.

[Edited at 2008-03-08 00:16]

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:22
German to English
Agree with Siegfried Mar 8, 2008

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

Proz should more concentrate on it's core business. Adding more and more features to make it broader does IMO not improve the site. I would prefer more depth,

In the four years that I have been a ProZ.com member, there have been countless suggestions and requests from users to improve the quality of core areas of the site:KudoZ, glossaries, jobs area etc., etc. Although the staff and site management have often agreed to making these changes, there is no sign yet of them being implemented, instead new features keep being added on.

There is no doubt that many members will like the new social networking feature and use it. It may even become very popular. I don't think I will use it much myself, though.

One more thing: Please correct the spelling of "colleagues" in the "My Networking" box. Thanks.

[Edited at 2008-03-08 01:53]

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Correct the spelling, please. Mar 8, 2008

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

One more thing: Please correct the spelling of "colleagues" in the "My Networking" box. Thanks.

yes, please do. That misspelled word is the only reason I came to this discussion. I may be interested in the feature--sometime when I don't have work to do.

Andre Pellet (X)
Andre Pellet (X)  Identity Verified
Good Feedback Mar 8, 2008

All,

Thank you for your initial feedback on the MyNetwork feature. I agree, at first it doesn't appear to offer much to the professional - does it? We considered withholding the feature until we had more elements, but decided it would be better to get it out to begin building the personal networks.

Why?

Well, consider the idea of what you might do once you develop a list of the other translators, clients and professionals you trust the most. Suddenly, yo
... See more
All,

Thank you for your initial feedback on the MyNetwork feature. I agree, at first it doesn't appear to offer much to the professional - does it? We considered withholding the feature until we had more elements, but decided it would be better to get it out to begin building the personal networks.

Why?

Well, consider the idea of what you might do once you develop a list of the other translators, clients and professionals you trust the most. Suddenly, you open the door to doing things that might take several steps if you had to do it manually. Some possible ideas might be:

- You have too much work and you want to see if any of your trusted friends that offer the same language pairs are available to help you with overflow. You could send the "project" info out to your network to get a quick response.

- You are interested to see how your trusted network has reported on the blue board about a specific outsourcer. Since these are people you trust, you are most interested in their specific feedback and experiences.

- You have specific terminology questions which you would like to post to your own network before going out the general community.

- You would like to know the availability of your network to see if someone is available to partner on a larger project.

These are just some possibilities, and they start with the first step of creating the network. Once this is available, we will be able to build many tools that utilize the network in very productive ways.

Let me suggest a question from a different perspective - How does your own informal network of professionals you trust help you in your everyday work? How can the tools ProZ.com offers help you work with your network? What would you suggest?

Thanks for all your feedback!

Regards,

Andre Pellet
COO
ProZ.com
Collapse

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
I like the idea Mar 8, 2008

In fact I've been waiting for something like this for a long time. At the moment I have my "network" in a notebook; something better structured is more than welcome.
Andre, out of the things you wrote, these are the ones I find the most useful:
- You have too much work and you want to see if any of your trusted friends that offer the same language pairs are available to help you with overflow.
- You are interested to see how your trusted network has reported on the blue board about a specific outsourcer.
- You would like to know the availability of your network to see if someone is available to partner on a larger project.

What I would like to see in my "Network" page is:
- The colleagues in my network listed by language pair
- the ability to sort them by specialization (I'm picturing one table per language pair, where one column shows specialization)
- their availability (maybe a thumbnail of their availability calendar)
- their contact information if provided in their profile
- Their BB entries

I am not interested in their recent forum postings or their kudoz questions, I'd like my network page to be "clean" and have only the necessary information.

Andre Pellet wrote:
- You have specific terminology questions which you would like to post to your own network before going out the general community.

We already have a similar feature. We can send KudoZ questions (not for points) to our teams. I'd keep it separate from the network.

One more thing: why is an invitation e-mail necessary? I'd be happy if someone added me to their network, I wouldn't want them to have to ask for my permission.

Maria

ChrisGT
ChrisGT  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
That would be my purpose for using it... Mar 8, 2008

"- You have too much work and you want to see if any of your trusted friends that offer the same language pairs are available to help you with overflow. You could send the "project" info out to your network to get a quick response."

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the new feature. Having a personal network will allow me to find the right person I need much faster. I work a lot and I don't like wasting time having to "look" endlessly for someone that I saw in the For
... See more
"- You have too much work and you want to see if any of your trusted friends that offer the same language pairs are available to help you with overflow. You could send the "project" info out to your network to get a quick response."

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the new feature. Having a personal network will allow me to find the right person I need much faster. I work a lot and I don't like wasting time having to "look" endlessly for someone that I saw in the Forums or KudoZ Section.

Thank you, André, for this add-on. I appreciate it.
Collapse

Hikmat Gumilar
Hikmat Gumilar  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 07:52
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Technical Feedback Mar 8, 2008

Hi,
I'm 100 percent for this new feature...

Just some feedback on technical side:
I am using Firefox and invitation page on Firefox seems garbled, I cannot see the whole page...(should I use IE? or should the page be Firefox friendly as well?)

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2297/2317638827_b35bd80412.jpg?v=0[/img]

and after that... on confirmation page...

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2378/2317649215_b02975bc84.jpg?v=0[/i
... See more
Hi,
I'm 100 percent for this new feature...

Just some feedback on technical side:
I am using Firefox and invitation page on Firefox seems garbled, I cannot see the whole page...(should I use IE? or should the page be Firefox friendly as well?)

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2297/2317638827_b35bd80412.jpg?v=0[/img]

and after that... on confirmation page...

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2378/2317649215_b02975bc84.jpg?v=0[/img]

I don't feel comfortable with the email there...
What if someone who wants to know my email pretend that I am their trusted friend but then use it to Spam?

Thanks

Hikmat
Collapse

A. & S. Witte
A. & S. Witte
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Because networking is a two-way process Mar 8, 2008

Maria Karra wrote:

One more thing: why is an invitation e-mail necessary? I'd be happy if someone added me to their network, I wouldn't want them to have to ask for my permission.

Maria

Therefore two people have to mutually agree upon it.

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Email address should no longer be displayed Mar 8, 2008

Email addresses should no longer be displayed when inviting colleagues.

Thanks,

Jason

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 21:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Collegues Added Mar 8, 2008

JaneTranslates wrote:

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

yes, please do. That misspelled word is the only reason I came to this discussion. I may be interested in the feature--sometime when I don't have work to do.

Yes, pleaaaseee....

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
How it will be different from "My lists" feature? Mar 8, 2008

Hi,
There is a feature called My Lists (http://www.proz.com/?sp=lists) where we can make various lists of prozers. From what I see the only difference is that adding someone to My Network requires confirmation and adding to My List - doesn't. Other then that - no difference so far.

Magda

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking feedback on new ProZ.com social networking feature "My Network"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »