Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Are Canadian translators taking full advantage of technologies available?
Thread poster: CLS Lexi-tech
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:25
Member (2004)
English to Italian
not enough... Jul 31, 2002

you would be much more proficient, delivering better and more consistent translations, with a CAT tool. Careful though. I\'m not advocating the use of a CAT tool for every job, but for repetitive assignments. Also, a CAT tool, as you say correctly, is to be used as a management tool, to improve proficiency (and output) and consistency.

Finally, I wasn\'t saying that ALL Canadian translators are stuck in the Dark Ages, I was referring to Paola\'s examples. Anyway, your post confirms the
... See more
you would be much more proficient, delivering better and more consistent translations, with a CAT tool. Careful though. I\'m not advocating the use of a CAT tool for every job, but for repetitive assignments. Also, a CAT tool, as you say correctly, is to be used as a management tool, to improve proficiency (and output) and consistency.

Finally, I wasn\'t saying that ALL Canadian translators are stuck in the Dark Ages, I was referring to Paola\'s examples. Anyway, your post confirms the fact that Canadian translators are too busy and too well paid to be bothered about anything else. If I\'m really busy... why change?

Giovanni

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-31 09:02 ]
Collapse

PaulaMac (X)
PaulaMac (X)
French to English
+ ...
Hi Giovanni Jul 31, 2002

Re: you would be much more proficient, delivering better and more consistent translations, with a CAT tool

I disagree. The reason my clients keep coming back is because I deliver high quality and CONSISTENT translations. I also edit TRADOS translations for one client (who rightly pays per word translation rates, not \"editing\" rates) and frankly, I\'m not impressed. The best I can say is that when the translation is correct (and even a 100 score is no guarantee of that),
... See more
Re: you would be much more proficient, delivering better and more consistent translations, with a CAT tool

I disagree. The reason my clients keep coming back is because I deliver high quality and CONSISTENT translations. I also edit TRADOS translations for one client (who rightly pays per word translation rates, not \"editing\" rates) and frankly, I\'m not impressed. The best I can say is that when the translation is correct (and even a 100 score is no guarantee of that), they are functional at best. I have been told by a number of clients that they not only appreciate the fact that I deliver solid translations and meet deadlines, they like my style of writing. And style may be getting left behind. It\'s too bad.
Collapse

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
good use of a CAT tool... Aug 1, 2002

as in every field and with every technology, a useful tool is really useful only if used in an intelligent manner. True, CAT tools restrict creativity, but it\'s down to the translator to use the CAT tool to aid the translation process, not as a substitute. I too check many CAT tool aided translations and are appalled by the laziness of the translators, who can\'t be bothered to put two sentence together with a comma anymore. This is why many present translations are just a bad carbon copy of th... See more
as in every field and with every technology, a useful tool is really useful only if used in an intelligent manner. True, CAT tools restrict creativity, but it\'s down to the translator to use the CAT tool to aid the translation process, not as a substitute. I too check many CAT tool aided translations and are appalled by the laziness of the translators, who can\'t be bothered to put two sentence together with a comma anymore. This is why many present translations are just a bad carbon copy of the English original. With a CAT tool one tends to stick to the original structure and this, especially for Latin languages, is way too bad. Translators all over the world... try and feed your CAT some imagination!

Giovanni
Collapse

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 19:25
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't get it, sorry. Aug 2, 2002

It sounds as if using Cat tools is like cheating, or a waste of time, or almost a tad less than professional. And I am at the end of a series of 10 hours work days. The topic cannot be dismissed so easily.

Suppose a client with 1 million words to be translated in roughly 60 working days. This is, I would say, not a very unsual situation in Canada. What do you do to insure quality and consistency of the translated product? In an ideal world, I would do terminology extraction of the text
... See more
It sounds as if using Cat tools is like cheating, or a waste of time, or almost a tad less than professional. And I am at the end of a series of 10 hours work days. The topic cannot be dismissed so easily.

Suppose a client with 1 million words to be translated in roughly 60 working days. This is, I would say, not a very unsual situation in Canada. What do you do to insure quality and consistency of the translated product? In an ideal world, I would do terminology extraction of the text in question. I.e. you use one Cat Tool (I have in mind a Canadian product very powerful) to extract the most recurring sequences (two words and more) to establish a terminological basis for the team of translators (in-house and freelancers) who will tackle the project. I.e. instead of having revisors doing remedial work at the end, costly and untimely, and ultimately unpredictable, you do preventive terminological work at the very beginning of the project. Once you know that the sequence \"ZZZZ yyy pppp\" recurs say 1,500 times, you establish a baseline translation for that and distribute to all involved. Then you analyze the text on the basis of the memories you have from the same client in the same field, and see whether useful suggestions are available. And so on and so forth.

A translation memory is just that, a memory that remembers what one might otherwise forget in a work of this volume, or even of less volume, and frees the translator to do what he or she does best. Translate, not remember.

Why such an issue should be dismissed, or not even tackled, is a mystery to me.

Even if I did not have Paula\'s output when I was a freelancer, I benefited greatly from my not so powerful electronic memories. Call it a glossary or a dictionary interfaced with your text, call it a management tool, call it what you want, but let\'s look at what they can really do for you and for the quality and consistency of translation, on a small and on a large scale.

paola l m

Collapse

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Paola, couldn't agree more... Aug 2, 2002

I can\'t understand the hostility towards CAT tools either. They do not substitute translating, they help you translate better. In the example you mention, a CAT tool would be absolutely indispensable. I cannot imagine translating 1 million words without one!

G

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-02 09:00 ]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are Canadian translators taking full advantage of technologies available?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »