Certificate Proz Network translation - I don't know what kind of translation to choose. Ideas?
Thread poster: Inge Schumacher
Inge Schumacher
Inge Schumacher  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:14
Member (2023)
French to German
+ ...
Jan 16

I would like to submit a translation to become a member of the Proz Network.

The problem is that I don't know what kind of translation to choose.
When asking advice from Proz. Staff, I will only learn that my translation must not have been published publicly.

The length of the text to be translated (300–500 words?) doesn't make things easier. It's almost impossible to translate really interesting content with only max. 500 words. I read articles of all kinds (
... See more
I would like to submit a translation to become a member of the Proz Network.

The problem is that I don't know what kind of translation to choose.
When asking advice from Proz. Staff, I will only learn that my translation must not have been published publicly.

The length of the text to be translated (300–500 words?) doesn't make things easier. It's almost impossible to translate really interesting content with only max. 500 words. I read articles of all kinds (scientific, politics, society, environment, etc.), but they are much too long!

So, please, anyone has an idea?

Thank you,

Inge

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2024-01-22 09:02 GMT]
Collapse

Muhammad Natiq

Harry Blake Paz Bonzano
Harry Blake Paz Bonzano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2014)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
It doesn't have to be interesting Jan 17

Hi Inge,

When I submitted my translation, I just chose a text that was of my field of expertise. I also decided which section of a long text I wanted to sumbit (double checking everything).
It doesn't have to be interesting. The objective is to be evaluated whether you are expert in that language, so the analysis will be of how you wrote your translation.
I hope this helps you with your decision.

Inge Schumacher
Jorge Payan

Inge Schumacher
Inge Schumacher  Identity Verified
France
Member (2023)
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Harry Jan 17

Hi Harry,

Thank you very much for your advice.

I think I'll find something suitable to translate.

By the way, I love your personal profile message: "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Daniel J. Boorstin

I feel more and more that our world (including our translators' world) lacks of critical thinking and/or philosophy.

... See more
Hi Harry,

Thank you very much for your advice.

I think I'll find something suitable to translate.

By the way, I love your personal profile message: "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Daniel J. Boorstin

I feel more and more that our world (including our translators' world) lacks of critical thinking and/or philosophy.

Kind regards,

Inge
Collapse

Harry Blake Paz Bonzano

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certificate Proz Network translation - I don't know what kind of translation to choose. Ideas?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »