Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:28
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Dec 15, 2010

A few years ago having studied endless books and software I managed to create my very own website and was (and still am) very proud of the result. Now a few years down the line I need to change some information (like prices and contact info) however by now I have completely forgotten everything about creating the website, in fact, I do not even remember what software I used.

Can anybody tell me (using very simple terms if possible) how I could make these changes? I use Proz hosting
... See more
A few years ago having studied endless books and software I managed to create my very own website and was (and still am) very proud of the result. Now a few years down the line I need to change some information (like prices and contact info) however by now I have completely forgotten everything about creating the website, in fact, I do not even remember what software I used.

Can anybody tell me (using very simple terms if possible) how I could make these changes? I use Proz hosting, so as far as I understand I have to access this cPanel X site and... and here my imagination completely abandons me - there are so many options and none of them point me in the right direction. All I want is to be able to access the web page content with all the web code and just change a few digits.

Or do I have to dig up the original website docs on my computer, change it all and reupload again?

I did open the help section but since I am not a geek it took me only a couple of minutes to realise that I do not understand anything. How I managed to create the website, I cannot tell you, it still baffles me. Maybe I had more time back then.

Thanks in advance,
Ines
Collapse

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Download - edit - upload Dec 15, 2010

I confess I don't use ProZ hosting, but I've used a variety of other hosts with various control panels. Typically they allow you to download particular files (e.g. HTML files) from your site to your computer. Then on your computer you can open the HTML file, make changes, save, and then upload again to your site via the control panel.

For editing the HTML file, you could just use something as boring as notepad (you may have to temporarily rename the .html file to end in .txt to pers
... See more
I confess I don't use ProZ hosting, but I've used a variety of other hosts with various control panels. Typically they allow you to download particular files (e.g. HTML files) from your site to your computer. Then on your computer you can open the HTML file, make changes, save, and then upload again to your site via the control panel.

For editing the HTML file, you could just use something as boring as notepad (you may have to temporarily rename the .html file to end in .txt to persuade notepad to open it), or for example Word or OpenOffice should let you edit it if want a more WYSIWYG interface.

Incidentally, you might want to think about downloading the contents of your site to your local computer in any case, just so as to have a backup that you're in control of.
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Changing your website Dec 15, 2010

Hello,

Here is how to do it with ProZ hosting.

First, you need to make the changes. To do this, you need to open the html you want to change in WordPad or other text viewer (e.g. index.htm - your home page). If you do not have this file saved on your computer, go to your website and click on View, then Page Source (if you are using Firefox) or Page, View Source (if you are using Internet Explorer), select and copy the text and paste in into the text viewer.

... See more
Hello,

Here is how to do it with ProZ hosting.

First, you need to make the changes. To do this, you need to open the html you want to change in WordPad or other text viewer (e.g. index.htm - your home page). If you do not have this file saved on your computer, go to your website and click on View, then Page Source (if you are using Firefox) or Page, View Source (if you are using Internet Explorer), select and copy the text and paste in into the text viewer.

Next, make the desired changes to the file and SAVE it (if you forget to save, no changes will be made).

1) Enter My Hosting from My Profile
2) Select Control Panel
3) Enter your username and password (may be diff. from your ProZ UN and PW)
4) Click on the File Manager icon (second icon in row 5)
5) Click on GO (make sure WEB ROOT is selected)
6) Click on UPLOAD at the top of the screen
7) Select browse and then select your file or files from your computer.
8) If you are overwriting an existing file, you will need to confirm this by pressing yes.
9) Log out
10) Go to your website to see if changes are correct.
Collapse

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jefff! Dec 16, 2010

Your instructions are just what I needed! At the moment though I am stuck in the File Manager. Every time I click go on the web root, the connection times out. I wonder if it's my Internet connection, Proz hosting or just sod's law.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice needed on making changes in website

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »