Thread poster: Laura Frida
Laura Frida
Laura Frida
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Apr 17, 2023

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone here uses the translation software "Memsource-Phrase". If so, what do you think of it?

Do you have any other recommendations for a (mostly) free translation software?

Any insight would be very welcome.

Thanks!

Laura

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:59
English to French
+ ...
I use it on an agency portal... Apr 17, 2023

What can I say?

simply put, it works. The customer has Memsource (they acknowledge that the choice of the word "Phrase" is not a good idea) set with MT and a TM, neither of which has any setting accessible to me.

Response time is slow at times (a few seconds for suggestions from TM and MT to be available, or to move to the next segment after validation), and quick at others. I suppose it falls down under data transmission and the Memsource server response time.
... See more
What can I say?

simply put, it works. The customer has Memsource (they acknowledge that the choice of the word "Phrase" is not a good idea) set with MT and a TM, neither of which has any setting accessible to me.

Response time is slow at times (a few seconds for suggestions from TM and MT to be available, or to move to the next segment after validation), and quick at others. I suppose it falls down under data transmission and the Memsource server response time.

There is not an overwhelming number of settings available, but I have not noticed any glaring omission. It seems that the current version has removed the option to have the current segment centered vertically in the screen, though. This is more irritating than a real problem (when the current segment extends below the bottom of the screen, it returns to the center by itself).

QA features are not irritating too much, unlike most competitor products, although "unresolved" comments cause some sort of hiccup; why is that? A comment is just that, not something which needs to be resolved.

It works for me in this particular configuration, even though I can't save a glossary from one project to the next (the agency's explanations about that being caused by the complex procedure to do so are not reassuring, though).

There, you have my opinion.
Collapse

Andriy Yasharov
Philippe Noth
expressisverbis

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:59
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Efficient tool Apr 17, 2023

Some of my clients assign me jobs through it and I personally like working with it. Compared to some other "online CAT tools" it is more intuitive, efficient and user friendly.

Andriy Yasharov
Baran Keki
Philippe Noth
expressisverbis

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:59
English to Czech
Free translation software Apr 17, 2023

Laura Frida wrote:

If so, what do you think of it?

Their web:
https://phrase.com/

https://phrase.com/download/

https://www.youtube.com/@phrasesuite

Memsource had a free plan for one-user.

https://phrase.com/pricing/

This is not free, but you can work for agency which pays license.

I am using OmegaT: https://omegat.org/

Milan

Olena Dmytriieva
Olena Dmytriieva  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2022)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Solid and user-friendly Apr 19, 2023

My experience with Memsource/Phrase TMS includes 3 years of volunteering for TWB, they offer the access to translators to this online-based platform for their projects.

I like the editor very much: always fluent, responsive, packed with the necessary settings (for example, I have options to set the format of certain symbols for Cyrillic, which are not so enhanced in OmegaT free tool).
The projects, TMs, and glossaries are of course managed by project managers only, but work q
... See more
My experience with Memsource/Phrase TMS includes 3 years of volunteering for TWB, they offer the access to translators to this online-based platform for their projects.

I like the editor very much: always fluent, responsive, packed with the necessary settings (for example, I have options to set the format of certain symbols for Cyrillic, which are not so enhanced in OmegaT free tool).
The projects, TMs, and glossaries are of course managed by project managers only, but work quite fluently - on the sidebar I can preview fuzzy and complete matches, search in glossaries among the previous files of the same project, and it's quite helpful for overall consistency.
There are options of blocked segments, automatic propagation, and you can leave comments on any segment if needed.
The interface is quite easy and intuitive.
QA setting are also set by the PMs, and the tool is very precise, for translating EN>RU it is often too much, and I have just to ignore many errors due to the morphological peculiarities of the target language.

Conclusion: I will gladly work with this editor, when access is provided for free.
As for the personal use, my conception from their website is that they are centered on selling packages for agencies, so teamwork: https://phrase.com/pricing/ They offer a 30-days trial, anyway, so in case you have an opportunity to test it better before paying the subscription.

Among other free tools I am currently testing OmegaT and CafeTran Espresso (I am at the beginning of my tech insights).
OmegaT is very simple, reminds me of the old Wordfast that was incorporated into Word. To my mind, it has a bit limited options and settings, and TM seems not so fluent. This one is open-source and forever free without limits.
CafeTran is a great tool, good TM, settings, but free usage will be limited to a certain number of projects and units. As far as I remember, ProZ offers some discounts for that tool. The good of it is that it is centered on the freelance professionals, not too expensive but seems appreciated much by the community.

[Edited at 2023-04-20 09:59 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Deleted Apr 19, 2023

[Edited at 2023-04-19 18:01 GMT]

Laura Frida
Laura Frida
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OmegaT - formats Apr 21, 2023

[quote]Olena Dmytriieva wrote:

Among other free tools I am currently testing OmegaT and CafeTran Espresso (I am at the beginning of my tech insights).
OmegaT is very simple, reminds me of the old Wordfast that was incorporated into Word. To my mind, it has a bit limited options and settings, and TM seems not so fluent. This one is open-source and forever free without limits.

I've just downloaded OmegaT on my Mac, created a new project but I can't open any file. Does it support files in Excel and Word format?

Seems like you like Memsource better. It seems more intuitive to me also.

Thank you for your feedback!

Olena Dmytriieva
Olena Dmytriieva  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2022)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
OmegaT - formats Apr 26, 2023

Laura Frida wrote:

I've just downloaded OmegaT on my Mac, created a new project but I can't open any file. Does it support files in Excel and Word format?

Yes, it goes well with most common formats, including Word and Excel. Perhaps it is not so easy if you are a CAT beginner, as it was for me. To load the source file into the programme, you should have the file exactly in the project folder which is named "source". I suggest you to look through "OmegaT for CAT beginners tutorial (2020 edition)", you can find it at https://omegat.org/documentation
If you are a CAT beginner, this free tool gives you an opportunity to get a good insight of how the CAT tools work. I have been testing it on some of my existing samples, along with CafeTran Espreso, as a part of my tech study.

Yes, generally Memsource has an easier, more intuitive interface, and is more packed with options and possibilities, but there should be a certain advantage in paid software in some way, otherwise noone would use it. I suppose, also handling the files is an easier system with Memsource, but I have not had a full user experience managing the project from A to Z, only limited to my translator's access to a certain section of the text.

Dalibor Skalník
Dalibor Skalník  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Not happy with unreliable concordance search Nov 9, 2023

Laura Frida wrote:

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone here uses the translation software "Memsource-Phrase". If so, what do you think of it?

Any insight would be very welcome.

Thanks!

Laura

I could swear I repeatedly could not find a word or a phrase I knew I already translated. This happened to me while doing about three jobs consisting of several files. The searched things were in 100% finished files. I even tried today (it happened to me again today) to mark the finished files as completed, even though I does not make much sense. Looks like there is sometimes a delay before translations are really comitted.
One other thing happened in Chrome: a cursor suddenly started behave strangely. The position on the screen actually did not correspond with the actual position. Quite impossible to work. I switched to Edge and it was ok.
So no, I would not recommended. Especially the concordance issue is pretty serious. I suppose that in case of connection issues there would be some indication (but green checkmarks were everywhere anyway with 100% completeness). Plus my connection is pretty stable.

[Edited at 2023-11-09 14:03 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:59
English to Russian
Try Desktop Editor Nov 9, 2023

Dalibor Skalník wrote:
One other thing happened in Chrome: a cursor suddenly started behave strangely. The position on the screen actually did not correspond with the actual position. Quite impossible to work.
Just don't use the web version. You can use Phrase Desktop Editor which is pretty handy.

I could swear I repeatedly could not find a word or a phrase I knew I already translated.
Do you make sure that you search for a word in the right direction/language pair? Also, can you give an example of what your are trying to search for? Is it a single word or a phrase? If it is a phrase, do you use Ctrl+K or Ctrl+Shift+K?

expressisverbis
Dan Lucas

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 13:59
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Licence Nov 9, 2023

One of the problems I find with Phrase (Memsource) is that I don't have a licence, which prevents me from using what I need/like to the fullest in a project and enjoying all the features, unlike my paid licences for other CAT tools.
It's a very intuitive and practical CAT tool, but it's not one I like working with the most. It gets the job done
I've never really liked translating in web-based editors. Whenever I have
... See more
One of the problems I find with Phrase (Memsource) is that I don't have a licence, which prevents me from using what I need/like to the fullest in a project and enjoying all the features, unlike my paid licences for other CAT tools.
It's a very intuitive and practical CAT tool, but it's not one I like working with the most. It gets the job done
I've never really liked translating in web-based editors. Whenever I have the chance, I use desktop-based editors, such as with Phrase/Memsource.
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Phrase Desktop Editor? Nov 10, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Just don't use the web version. You can use Phrase Desktop Editor which is pretty handy.

"Unfortunately, when you don't have an account with Phrase, the Desktop Editor is almost useless as you cannot import TMs or TDs nor can you use MT. Or am I missing something?"

[Edited at 2023-11-10 11:00 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Memsource-Phrase

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »