Jonathan Spencer
Jonathan Spencer
Spain
Local time: 10:16
French to English
+ ...
Sep 1, 2022

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows whether it's possible to get a word count of only the unlocked segments in Memsource. I've got 18 documents in this project and with so many locked segments, the percentage of progress for each one is almost irrelevant. It would be easier to see how many words left in unlocked segments. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:16
Danish to English
+ ...
No Sep 1, 2022

Only if you pay them a subscription can you run your own analysis. Otherwise, Memsource is a fairly dumb tool that doesn't give you that sort of information. You'll need to ask your PM to provide a status.

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 11:16
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Maybe Sep 8, 2022

If this project has been provided by an agency and you are allowed to download bilingual XLIFF files from Memsource, then the workaround is as follows:
1. Tick all the files in the project, from the Project tab, not the Jobs tab.
2. Download one bilingual MXLIFF or XLIFF file, from the Download button, consisting of all documents in the project.
MXLIFF files
3. Upload this MXLIFF or XLIFF file in your preferred CAT tool and run your analysis therein.
Your CAT tool should support the MXLIFF format if you choose this format.

For instance, you can use the relevant filters of CafeTran Espresso to see how much work is to be done.
I use this workaround on a regular basis for one of my clients, but another one has disabled this feature of Memsource.

[Edited at 2022-09-08 14:36 GMT]

Jonathan Spencer
Jonathan Spencer
Spain
Local time: 10:16
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 8, 2022

Thanks for the info!

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:16
Danish to English
+ ...
TM? Sep 8, 2022

Georgi Kovachev wrote:

3. Upload this MXLIFF or XLIFF file in your preferred CAT tool and run your analysis therein.

Both memoQ (not officially supported yet, but it will be) and Trados can do that, but they can't connect to any Memsource server TM (not sure if memoQ's future support of Memsource files will be able to do that), so no matches from the TM will be taken into account. But one can run a pre-translation in the Memsource portal with a low threshold to get any TM matches into the file.

Georgi Kovachev
Georgi Kovachev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 11:16
Member (2010)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
No TM Sep 9, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Georgi Kovachev wrote:

Both memoQ (not officially supported yet, but it will be) and Trados can do that, but they can't connect to any Memsource server TM (not sure if memoQ's future support of Memsource files will be able to do that), so no matches from the TM will be taken into account. But one can run a pre-translation in the Memsource portal with a low threshold to get any TM matches into the file.

Well, a server-based Memsource TM cannot be connected, I am afraid. The OP is interested in the word count of the unlocked segments, i.e. to get an idea about the number of segments to be translated. This MXLIFF or XLIFF file will also contain all project repetitions that he may take into account.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Word count of unlocked segments

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »