Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 21

I’ve just seen an ad for a legal translation EN/PT: 90,000 words to be done in 3 days! Really? I don’t comment on the “offered” rate as I understand that prices vary a lot around the world…

Julie Barber
Wolfgang Schoene
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Angus Stewart
philgoddard
Claire Bourneton-Gerlach

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Easy peasy Apr 21

The world was created in six...

Tony Keily
P.L.F. Persio
Youstina Wahid

Keith Jackson
Keith Jackson  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:49
Member (2017)
French to English
+ ...
I've just seen this ad for goodness knows what in FR to EN: Apr 21

the rates are as follows:
• Translation: $0.045 USD per word
• Proofreading/QA: $0.025 USD per word

Our client insists on working exclusively with translators who hold proof of C2 level language certification in the source language and are native speakers of the target language. Examples of C2 proficiency level certifications include Cambridge English Proficiency, DELF/DALF, TOEFL, and similar qualifications. Language studies or translation degrees... See more

Our client insists on working exclusively with translators who hold proof of C2 level language certification in the source language and are native speakers of the target language. Examples of C2 proficiency level certifications include Cambridge English Proficiency, DELF/DALF, TOEFL, and similar qualifications. Language studies or translation degrees are also acceptable."

The agency is touting for "translators" who are not native, but just proficient, and proposing rates for translation that were proofreading rates not so long ago. And then deigns to say what they also find acceptable: Language studies or translation degrees.

Question to moderators: Should this be allowed on Proz?

[Edited at 2024-04-21 15:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-04-21 15:37 GMT]
Collapse

dkfmmuc
dkfmmuc  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
It is part of the new "Cultural Revolution" Apr 21

Dear colleagues,

sorry for the fact that I can not fully agree. There are some investors and companies who are promoting this kind of craziness. So the world is not going crazy by itself it is put into weirdness.

The societies, economies and mankind as a whole will be poorer if this (AI powered) new "Cultural Revolution" continues. A human translating and commenting the essential parts of a text is and will be essential for success.

I remember some of the s
... See more
Dear colleagues,

sorry for the fact that I can not fully agree. There are some investors and companies who are promoting this kind of craziness. So the world is not going crazy by itself it is put into weirdness.

The societies, economies and mankind as a whole will be poorer if this (AI powered) new "Cultural Revolution" continues. A human translating and commenting the essential parts of a text is and will be essential for success.

I remember some of the smaller projects where the right comment or amendment saved the corporate customer lots of hassle and money. Starting with promotional claims which are forbidden in the target language and a short check of the cultural fit.

Best regards

Gerd
Collapse

Nurettin Ceylan

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not that bad Apr 21

Keith Jackson wrote:

Our client insists on working exclusively with translators who hold proof of C2 level language certification in the source language and are native speakers of the target language. Examples of C2 proficiency level certifications include Cambridge English Proficiency, DELF/DALF, TOEFL, and similar qualifications. Language studies or translation degrees are also acceptable."

The agency is touting for "translators" who are not native, but just proficient, and proposing rates for translation that were proofreading rates not so long ago. And then deigns to say what they also find acceptable: Language studies or translation degrees.

Question to moderators: Should this be allowed on Proz?

[Edited at 2024-04-21 15:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-04-21 15:37 GMT]

I think you misread it. They do want native speakers. Rate is a little low to be fair but not shockingly so.

Björn Vrooman
Zea_Mays
expressisverbis
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
non-natives to do LQA Apr 22

There's currently one job offer for LQA - a very critical step - where also non-native speakers are accepted.

expressisverbis

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Why does it say translatorS? Apr 22

Am I the only one thinking this is a split job type of offer?? (i.e. for several people that apply?)

Could also be a typo - 9,000?!

[Bearbeitet am 2024-04-22 08:46 GMT]

expressisverbis
Zea_Mays

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:49
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Crazy? Apr 22

The world is not going crazy, but it is already crazy at this time. Thank God there are still people who are sane, and I prefer to work with them. As the saying goes, there are two types of people on this planet, the ones who try to abuse translators and interpreters, and the ones who offer reasonable rates for them. Avoid the former, and pick the latter.

Speaking of money, do you need another proof that the world is crazy? Take a look at this current WSJ article regarding money
... See more
The world is not going crazy, but it is already crazy at this time. Thank God there are still people who are sane, and I prefer to work with them. As the saying goes, there are two types of people on this planet, the ones who try to abuse translators and interpreters, and the ones who offer reasonable rates for them. Avoid the former, and pick the latter.

Speaking of money, do you need another proof that the world is crazy? Take a look at this current WSJ article regarding money in the world.

https://www.wsj.com/business/airlines/heathrow-dubai-airports-billions-dirty-money-9f49cc7f?st=09obh4955uzjpnv&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink
Collapse

Nurettin Ceylan
Nurettin Ceylan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:49
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
No surprise..! Apr 22

I have been receiving job emails several times a month by those "professional looking" Proz registered companies, and their rates are not that far off from those proposed, sadly. 95% of the Proz generated job emails shouldn't be taken seriously as they're firmly in the "scam" category. I don't even bother to reply most of the time, and their emails go straight to the Trash folder...!

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The value of translators and translation Apr 22

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

I’ve just seen an ad for a legal translation EN/PT: 90,000 words to be done in 3 days! Really? I don’t comment on the “offered” rate as I understand that prices vary a lot around the world…

And in the meantime, this job has already been closed...
Even if the agency splits up the texts to be translated by several translators, the result will always be catastrophic. It's doomed from the start!
This shows how much value some people place on translators and translation!
Balancing speed with quality is always a consideration in any professional service, including translation, but this is insane.

[Edited at 2024-04-22 15:39 GMT]

Zea_Mays
Lieven Malaise
Hung Mai
Wolfgang Schoene
Thayenga
P.L.F. Persio

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And I've just noticed that Apr 22

one of the requirements is 5 years of experience in... interpretation (?!)

expressisverbis

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
German to English
+ ...
"one of the requirements is 5 years of experience in... interpretation (?!)" Apr 22

--> Text interpretation. ^^

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
Maybe it makes sense Apr 23

one of the requirements is 5 years of experience in... interpretation (?!)

You probably need the experience to understand the job positing.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Increasingly crazy! Apr 24

This time we have 39 pages (EN+PT or ES/PT) to be translated by Friday (this week). Translators are not miracle workers…

Wolfgang Schoene
expressisverbis

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Depends on the words per page Apr 24

This time we have 39 pages (EN+PT or ES/PT) to be translated by Friday (this week). Translators are not miracle workers…

How many words per page ? 300 ? You posted this at 1 p.m. Perfectly doable for Friday noon if I wouldn't have any other work (again: if no more than 300 words per page on average).

expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The world is going crazy!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »