Thread poster: Megan Campbell
Megan Campbell
Megan Campbell
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:21
Japanese to English
Mar 30

Hello,

I am a beginner freelance Japanese to English subtitler based in the UK.

I have decided my rate based on the amount I want to earn in a year and the number of hours I want to work.

I was happy with my rate until I found out it is way below the UK average minimum (£6-£13 per minute).

I was hoping someone could help me understand why the minimum starts from around £6.

£6 per minute seems expensive to me. I am sure
... See more
Hello,

I am a beginner freelance Japanese to English subtitler based in the UK.

I have decided my rate based on the amount I want to earn in a year and the number of hours I want to work.

I was happy with my rate until I found out it is way below the UK average minimum (£6-£13 per minute).

I was hoping someone could help me understand why the minimum starts from around £6.

£6 per minute seems expensive to me. I am sure there is something I am not taking into account.
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:21
German to Swedish
+ ...
Perspective Apr 1

25 years ago I did subtitling of 20-minute sitcoms for around $80 each (about 200 subtitles per episode, no spotting).
Inflation-adjusted, that would be something like $144 today, or $7 per minute. The work took 3-5 hours and the pay felt like a living wage then, but no more than that.

[Bearbeitet am 2024-04-01 18:58 GMT]

Dalia Nour

Robert Rutledge
Robert Rutledge  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:21
Member (2021)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Things to consider Apr 1

As someone active in the subtitling field, there are a lot of things to consider. In my language combination, Spanish-to-English, the äverage minimum rate you have posted, £6-£13 per minute, does seem quite high. I am used to working for substantially less than that.

However, there are other factors to consider. Does your client provide you with a source language template? Will you be responsible for timing?

Take into consideration these other factors. The rate you h
... See more
As someone active in the subtitling field, there are a lot of things to consider. In my language combination, Spanish-to-English, the äverage minimum rate you have posted, £6-£13 per minute, does seem quite high. I am used to working for substantially less than that.

However, there are other factors to consider. Does your client provide you with a source language template? Will you be responsible for timing?

Take into consideration these other factors. The rate you have posted would perhaps be a suitable rate for a client who is expecting you to provide subtitles from scratch. But if they provide you with a template and the subtitles have already been timed, I'd say you could make a decent income with roughly half that rate if you incorporate post-editing of machine translation into your workflow to speed things up.
Collapse

Dalia Nour

Megan Campbell
Megan Campbell
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:21
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 3

@JoakimBraun: Thanks for your insight! That makes a lot of sense.

@RobertRutledge: That’s interesting. I hadn’t considered that before. Thanks for your insight!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beginner Subtitler Requesting Help Understanding Subtitling Rates

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »