Jeanne de Rougemont  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:33
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
Apr 7

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to put together a portfolio of my literary translations to show editors when I contact them, as well as a sample translation of the book I'm proposing to translate, and I was wondering how to present it: a .docx document, a pdf? And how should I present it, the original text and the translation side by side in a table? One after the other? Two separate documents, one with the original texts and one with the translations?

Any guidance would be a
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to put together a portfolio of my literary translations to show editors when I contact them, as well as a sample translation of the book I'm proposing to translate, and I was wondering how to present it: a .docx document, a pdf? And how should I present it, the original text and the translation side by side in a table? One after the other? Two separate documents, one with the original texts and one with the translations?

Any guidance would be appreciated!
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Opinion Apr 7

Hello Jeanne,

I would choose to include the samples in a single PDF file, and present them either side by side or with the translation following the original (ideally on the same page), depending on the length of the text and your own (esthetic) preference. I don't think there is right or wrong here.

Best of luck!

Katarina Peters
Kay Denney
kretslopp

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:33
French to English
. Apr 8

I agree with Jean, you need to make it easy to compare the source and target. When I had to put together samples of my work at one point, I put the source on the left and the target on the right.

Jeanne de Rougemont
Jeanne de Rougemont  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:33
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 8

Thank you, that was my instinct as well, but I wanted to ask in case there were any habits in the world of publishing I wasn't aware of!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Presenting a literary translation portfolio

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »