Thread poster: Ana Resende
apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:21
English to German
+ ...
3rd link to dict necessary? Jun 14, 2011

This is the third link posted to exactly that dict.cc entry in this thread, Gudrun...

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:21
Spanish to English
Interesting Jun 14, 2011

As everyone else has said, it is permissible to coin a word in this way. But can anyone think of a decent sentence containing the word. When would one have occasion to use it? Or do I just lack the necessary imagination?

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Non-natives Jun 14, 2011

Lesley Clarke wrote:

As everyone else has said, it is permissible to coin a word in this way. But can anyone think of a decent sentence containing the word. When would one have occasion to use it? Or do I just lack the necessary imagination?

Well, non-natives for sure can. For me as native in German, a "plannable project" is a project that you could plan. I.e. a project that may be 'realizable' - i.e. with foreseeable obstacles that you still can manage - with a plan how to solve the obstacles it turns to a "plannable project".

Do others have other ideas for sentences?

Re. definition: You can find e.g. the following sentence online: "Here we suggest to separate plannable, i.e., close to deterministic parts of the world, and focus planning efforts in this domain." - so here, the text author proposes "close to deterministic".

Note for the record. June 15th: .com/.de: 28.500 and 74.200

[Edited at 2011-06-14 23:42 GMT]

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Tautology Jun 15, 2011

apk12 wrote:

Well, non-natives for sure can. For me as native in German, a "plannable project" is a project that you could plan. I.e. a project that may be 'realizable' - i.e. with foreseeable obstacles that you still can manage - with a plan how to solve the obstacles it turns to a "plannable project".

The OED defines a "project" as "A plan, draft, scheme, or table of something...", which rather implies that a "plannable project" is just a "plannable plan". The kind of project you describe is "feasible", "practicable" or perhaps merely "possible".

Of course, I'm only a native speaker. Perhaps some authoritative non-native speaker would be kind enough to give us a corroborating endorsement or rectifying correction of this view.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:21
English
+ ...
Example sentences Jun 15, 2011

Why bother going to such great lengths to think of possible meanings or argue about whether this is just something made up by non-natives? Just do a search on government web sites of English-speaking countries and see…

plannable site:gc.ca – 2 pages
plannable site:gov.uk – 18 pages
plannable site:gov – 100 pages

Now we just need to go through these examples and see how this word is actually used =P

(We can repeat the exercise targeting o
... See more
Why bother going to such great lengths to think of possible meanings or argue about whether this is just something made up by non-natives? Just do a search on government web sites of English-speaking countries and see…

plannable site:gc.ca – 2 pages
plannable site:gov.uk – 18 pages
plannable site:gov – 100 pages

Now we just need to go through these examples and see how this word is actually used =P

(We can repeat the exercise targeting other domains that are likely to contain native English text. Targeting edu, ac.uk etc. and looking for papers and/or lectures should also be useful…)

[Edited at 2011-06-15 06:36 GMT]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Adjectives ending with -able Jun 15, 2011

Probably the group of adjectives with the biggest number of newly coined forms, and they keep being coined ( verb+able).

Linguists coin new words where necessary, while not needing to verify everything on Google. As a nonnative speaker, of course I would first be wary of possible complications with context and collocations ( which I think is what Lesley asked). However, even then, Google can't give you endless number of answers, and sometimes you will simply have to be inventor in t
... See more
Probably the group of adjectives with the biggest number of newly coined forms, and they keep being coined ( verb+able).

Linguists coin new words where necessary, while not needing to verify everything on Google. As a nonnative speaker, of course I would first be wary of possible complications with context and collocations ( which I think is what Lesley asked). However, even then, Google can't give you endless number of answers, and sometimes you will simply have to be inventor in the language, instead of being a copycat.

[Edited at 2011-06-15 07:18 GMT]
Collapse

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
This is why Jun 15, 2011

Ambrose Li wrote:

The word exists but that doesn't mean you can use it tautologically without raising the occasional eyebrow

Ambrose Li
Canada
English
+ ...
productive suffixes Jun 15, 2011

Yes, I am aware that Google can’t give all the answers—in some cases it hardly knows anything. But when natives are questioning the validity of a word created with a productive suffix, I think it would be useful to see if it has at least some answers.

I’m sure when the right situation arises, any native will intuitively know “plannable” is the correct word to use. We are just all having a mind block right now and I see no harm in using Google to just jog our minds
... See more
Yes, I am aware that Google can’t give all the answers—in some cases it hardly knows anything. But when natives are questioning the validity of a word created with a productive suffix, I think it would be useful to see if it has at least some answers.

I’m sure when the right situation arises, any native will intuitively know “plannable” is the correct word to use. We are just all having a mind block right now and I see no harm in using Google to just jog our minds a little bit…
Collapse

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Tautology Jun 15, 2011

Giles Watson wrote:

The OED defines a "project" as "A plan, draft, scheme, or table of something...", which rather implies that a "plannable project" is just a "plannable plan". The kind of project you describe is "feasible", "practicable" or perhaps merely "possible".

Of course, I'm only a native speaker. Perhaps some authoritative non-native speaker would be kind enough to give us a corroborating endorsement or rectifying correction of this view.

Not sure if I am qualified enough to serve here as an authoritative non-native (which is not a tautology, but a nice rhyme instead, I'll keep that in mind instead of my TM, if I may), but I'll do my best.

A project is not really just a plan when you think about how often you come across it in the freelance world, or in project management. When you apply for a project, then you don't apply to the plan of something anymore, the project is there and funded, althouth still in progress (that's why you can apply for a participation in it). As a non-native, it could be that in everyday language, when speaking about projects that are a bit more than pure ideas but not actual started projects yet, the "plannable project" could slip my mouth.

I said non-natives, because that's what indeed can affect the fact whether we perceive a word as fitting, working, functioning, not surprising... - in German, the word-syntactical (1) and morphological equvalent "planbar" exists. Not sure why that fact should disqualify me from an expression of my opinion.

"Possible" does not fit as a surrogate - "plannable" implements the information why exactly something may be perceived as "possible".
"Practicable" and "feasible" also not totally: imagine a PM working on a project where one of the steps is a translation to a Western European language done for 0.0015. That may be perfectly "plannable", although not really "practicable".

(1) an Eisenberg term

[Edited at 2011-06-15 08:21 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
German and English Jun 15, 2011

apk12 wrote:
I said non-natives, because that's what indeed can affect the fact whether we perceive a word as fitting, working, functioning, not surprising... - in German, the syntactical equvalent "planbar" exists. Not sure why that fact should disqualify me from an expression of my opinion.

Something can work nicely in German, while not in English, and vice versa. Therefore I'd suggest being careful with such inter-linguistic comparisons.

However, some marginal cases will be viewed differently, and sometimes oppositely, even among native speakers.

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Time will show Jun 15, 2011

Sure, absolutely and of course. But since this here is a thread observing one such result of interaction between other languages and English (on proz, it was the Portugese>English gloss entry, then we've seen also the free dict entry for DE>EN), we can only watch and observe what kind of career "plannable" will develop.

I.e.: the observation of the "unplannable" progress of "plannable"

Ambrose Li
Canada
English
+ ...
Tautology Jun 15, 2011

I’ll also chip in here and say that I also don’t agree that “plannable project” is necessarily a tautology.

As apk12 has mentioned, a project is obviously not the same as a plan. Architectural projects, design projects, and even translation projects are not plans, though a plan (the “project plan”, which is obviously not a tautology) is (ideally) part of the project.

Actually, if you search for “plannable project site:gov” you’ll find
... See more
I’ll also chip in here and say that I also don’t agree that “plannable project” is necessarily a tautology.

As apk12 has mentioned, a project is obviously not the same as a plan. Architectural projects, design projects, and even translation projects are not plans, though a plan (the “project plan”, which is obviously not a tautology) is (ideally) part of the project.

Actually, if you search for “plannable project site:gov” you’ll find some results. I’m not in a position to question the nativeness of government officials in English-speaking countries.
Collapse

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
We're a bit OT Jun 15, 2011

The "plannable project" discussion, however intriguing, is veering a bit OT.

"Plannable" is obviously an English word, and equally evidently it is largely restricted to jargon of one kind or another. It's simply not the sort of word that springs spontaneously to one's lips in ordinary speech, not least because it contains three syllables and contains only two notions (plan+ability). The negative form "unplannable" is much better value with three notions (negation+plan+ability) and o
... See more
The "plannable project" discussion, however intriguing, is veering a bit OT.

"Plannable" is obviously an English word, and equally evidently it is largely restricted to jargon of one kind or another. It's simply not the sort of word that springs spontaneously to one's lips in ordinary speech, not least because it contains three syllables and contains only two notions (plan+ability). The negative form "unplannable" is much better value with three notions (negation+plan+ability) and only one syllable more. Remember that English is an analytical language and compound words have to justify their existence

Our friend Mr Google reports that there are about 26,500,000 occurrences of "unplannable" on the net, starting with the headline of an article of Time, whereas "plannable" can only rack up 288,000.

So yes, "plannable" is an English word but it has relatively limited currency in non-technical contexts.
Collapse

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
How many there? Jun 15, 2011

Giles Watson wrote:

Our friend Mr Google reports that there are about 26,500,000 occurrences of "unplannable" on the net, starting with the headline of an article of Time, whereas "plannable" can only rack up 288,000.

Can others confirm? Have a different count here on the monitor. Current now: .com: 28.900 for plannable and 26.800 for unplannable.

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Funny you should say that Jun 15, 2011

apk12 wrote:

Can others confirm? Have a different count here on the monitor. Current now: .com: 28.900 for plannable and 26.800 for unplannable.

Both figures are "correct", in fact. The 26.5 million/288,000 hits for "unplannable" and "plannable" are definitely there in Google's Italian interface but if you switch to English, you get 28,900 and 26,800 respectively.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does the word "plannable" exist?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »