Thread poster: Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:53
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Jan 21, 2023

In DVX3 it's possible to add synonyms to TDB entries via the specific attribute, but I cannot figure out how synonyms can be displayed while translating.

First thing first, is this at all possible?

Thanks

[Edited at 2023-01-21 08:10 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Nope Jan 21, 2023

Mario Cerutti wrote:

In DVX3 it's possible to add synonyms to TDB entries via the specific attribute, but I cannot figure out how synonyms can be displayed while translating.

First thing first, is this at all possible?

Thanks

[Edited at 2023-01-21 08:10 GMT]

IIRC, Michael has requested this but it was never implemented.

Denis Danchenko
Denis Danchenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:53
English to Russian
+ ...
Display of target term synonyms through merging several source terms Jan 21, 2023

The DVX 3 Pro User Manual describes a TDB maintenance procedure that could be used to display synonyms as separate AutoSearch portions:
1. Select several identical or nearly identical source terms.
2. Press the Ctrl key while selecting individual records.
–Or–
Press the Shift key while selecting a range of records.
3. Click Merge.
4. The source records are merged into one record with several related terms.
5. If the term is now displayed i
... See more
The DVX 3 Pro User Manual describes a TDB maintenance procedure that could be used to display synonyms as separate AutoSearch portions:
1. Select several identical or nearly identical source terms.
2. Press the Ctrl key while selecting individual records.
–Or–
Press the Shift key while selecting a range of records.
3. Click Merge.
4. The source records are merged into one record with several related terms.
5. If the term is now displayed in the AutoSearch window while translating a project, the two
target terms are displayed separately.
As for single term attributes, the AutoSearch display is limited to source term attributes only.
Collapse

Mario Cerutti
Japan
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No proper synonym handling in DVX3 yet Jan 22, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:
IIRC, Michael has requested this but it was never implemented.

I saw the discussion you are referring to, but since it started some years ago I hoped that meanwhile DVX3 had been implemented with this obvious feature. No, nothing has been done so far.

Mario Cerutti
Japan
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No automatic synonym display Jan 22, 2023

Denis Danchenko wrote:
As for single term attributes, the AutoSearch display is limited to source term attributes only.

Thank you Denis. Source and target synonyms can certainly be added in the TDB window and displayed in the Autosearch pane while translating, but only when you intentionally click on the desired term (they are displayed in the bottom of the same pane).

But, they are not displayed automatically as soon as you jump to the next segment in DVX3 editor, which is the most desirable behavior.

[Edited at 2023-01-22 00:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-01-22 01:00 GMT]

Denis Danchenko
Denis Danchenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:53
English to Russian
+ ...
point of autosearching synonyms? Jan 22, 2023

Mario Cerutti wrote:

Denis Danchenko wrote:

Thank you Denis. Source and target synonyms can certainly be added in the TDB window and displayed in the Autosearch pane while translating, but only when you intentionally click on the desired term (they are displayed in the bottom of the same pane).

But, they are not displayed automatically as soon as you jump to the next segment in DVX3 editor, which is the most desirable behavior.

[Edited at 2023-01-22 00:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-01-22 01:00 GMT]

I'm not sure, I can see the point of cluttering up the AutoSearch space with reference data, such as target term attributes, synonyms, etc. in the interactive translation mode.

Mario Cerutti
Japan
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only synonyms Jan 23, 2023

Denis Danchenko wrote:
I'm not sure, I can see the point of cluttering up the AutoSearch space with reference data, such as target term attributes, synonyms, etc. in the interactive translation mode.

It's about synonyms only, which I use extensively in my target language. But, since my memory is not very good I need to have them *readily* displayed somewhere. It's a matter of good ergonomics.

Then, It's also about adding synonyms to already registered terms. I see that DVX3 can do that, but each time you have to open the TDB window and search for the specific term. Too cumbersome.

DVX3 is an excellent CAT tool and it has been engineered very cleverly. Too bad Emilio Benito is no longer among the living. In my opinion, it would be different now.

[Edited at 2023-01-23 04:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-01-23 06:44 GMT]

Matthias Brombach

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DVX3: Showing synonyms while translating

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »