Thread poster: Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Sep 6, 2015

Hi guys,
Could anyone please tell me what the steps are to prevent DVX2 from doing a segmentation mid-sentence. German has lots of words that are usually abbreviated (like "bzw."). DV sees the full stop and segments the sentence. Thank you in advance.
Marcus

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:26
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Use Ctrl + j Sep 6, 2015

I don't know any way to prevent segmentation after a period of whatever ilk, but it is quite simple to use Ctrl+j to join the segmented sentences.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:26
German to English
Abbreviation list Sep 6, 2015

I haven't used DVX in a long time, but I recall that in the language file there's a list of abbreviations or exceptions to the segmentation rules. It's possible to add to this list. Unfortunately I don't have DVX installed on this computer, so I can't give you the exact location of this file. If I recall correctly, it's in the help file. Try searching for "segmentation rules" or "delimiters".
... See more
I haven't used DVX in a long time, but I recall that in the language file there's a list of abbreviations or exceptions to the segmentation rules. It's possible to add to this list. Unfortunately I don't have DVX installed on this computer, so I can't give you the exact location of this file. If I recall correctly, it's in the help file. Try searching for "segmentation rules" or "delimiters".
I found this:
http://docslide.us/documents/dvx-segmentation-exceptions-for-dummies.html
Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Segmentation rules Sep 7, 2015

Thank you guys. Yes, Yolanda, that's what I do but it's a pain if you have to do this a couple of dozen times in a big file. I'll try your solution, Kevin!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prevent segmentation in DVX2

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »