importing Trados TMs to DejaVu X2
Thread poster: Deborah Kolosova
Deborah Kolosova
Deborah Kolosova  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Jul 15, 2012

I recently purchased DejaVu X2 and was fiddling around with it to see how everything works. I decided to try importing some Russian>English TMs I already had from Trados 7 into DejaVu. I first tried exporting from Trados into TMX, but when I tried importing that, I would get an error at the stage where you are supposed to select the languages and the program would close. I then tried to export as a .txt file; the import then was completed successfully, but when I opened the TM, the Russian part... See more
I recently purchased DejaVu X2 and was fiddling around with it to see how everything works. I decided to try importing some Russian>English TMs I already had from Trados 7 into DejaVu. I first tried exporting from Trados into TMX, but when I tried importing that, I would get an error at the stage where you are supposed to select the languages and the program would close. I then tried to export as a .txt file; the import then was completed successfully, but when I opened the TM, the Russian part was all gibberish. I tried it several times selecting different encoding options, but I got the same gibberish each time. Am I doing something wrong?Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:04
English to Czech
+ ...
TMX Jul 16, 2012

Hello Deborah,
first of all, make sure that you export your TMs from Trados to TMX 1.4b (i.e. the latest version). Then run the import into DVX2.

I am a newbie to DVX2 too and I too had a crash during one TM import, but I repeated the process and everything was okay.

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Another tip Jul 16, 2012

I have noticed that both txt and tmx exports from Trados 7 contain a lot of rubbish and unnecessary code that DVX treats as regular text. What helps (although adds a bit of work) is importing a Trados txt export file into a temporary SDLX TM file (in Maintain), and then exporting that TM to TMX. This might also solve your problem.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Best import Trados 7 > DVX2 Jul 16, 2012

Hi,

The import which gives the best results in DVX2 if importing from Trados 7 is usning the format

"Translation's Workbench 7.x/8.x". From Trados 7, first export to that format and in DVX2 chose "Trados WB Database" for importing.

The main advantage is: codes are better converted into embedded codes for DVX2 which will give better "Repair Fuzzy match" results with formatted documents.
That's the reason why I don't recommend to import any TMX from Tra
... See more
Hi,

The import which gives the best results in DVX2 if importing from Trados 7 is usning the format

"Translation's Workbench 7.x/8.x". From Trados 7, first export to that format and in DVX2 chose "Trados WB Database" for importing.

The main advantage is: codes are better converted into embedded codes for DVX2 which will give better "Repair Fuzzy match" results with formatted documents.
That's the reason why I don't recommend to import any TMX from Trados Studio: There will be a lot of tabbed spaces in the TM entries and codes that DVX2 cannot handle. So, if you ever want to import from Trados Studio, also go this way (Studio owners also own Trados 7).

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2012-07-16 12:56 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Thanks, Mike Jul 16, 2012

Thanks for the info, Mike! Just to make the following piece of information more precise:
MikeTrans wrote:
So, if you ever want to import from Trados Studio, also go this way (Studio owners also own Trados 7).

Studio 2009 owners also have a license for Trados 2007 (i.e. version 8.xx.xxx, not version 7.xx.xxx). However, if you buy Studio 2011, you will not receive the T2007 license automatically; you must pay a little extra to receive a T2007 license.

Deborah Kolosova
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the problem's in the Cyrillic Jul 16, 2012

I actually tried both TMX 1.4b and the Trados 7.x txt format for the export; as I said before, the TMX caused an error, and the Trados 7 format gave me gibberish instead of Russian. I rather suspected the problem was the Cyrillic, as the English part came out all right. I tested this hypothesis by creating an EN-GB>EN-US TM in Trados, exporting it in Trados 7.x format, and importing it into DejaVu. That worked perfectly. Does anyone have any experience in importing Cyrillic TMs that might help? ... See more
I actually tried both TMX 1.4b and the Trados 7.x txt format for the export; as I said before, the TMX caused an error, and the Trados 7 format gave me gibberish instead of Russian. I rather suspected the problem was the Cyrillic, as the English part came out all right. I tested this hypothesis by creating an EN-GB>EN-US TM in Trados, exporting it in Trados 7.x format, and importing it into DejaVu. That worked perfectly. Does anyone have any experience in importing Cyrillic TMs that might help? By the way, source documents in Russian open in DejaVu with no problem, and if I translate them in DejaVu and send the results to the TM, that works fine, too, so it's not that DejaVu can't handle Cyrillic.Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Cyrillic problem... Jul 16, 2012

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Studio 2009 owners also have a license for Trados 2007 (i.e. version 8.xx.xxx, not version 7.xx.xxx). However, if you buy Studio 2011, you will not receive the T2007 license automatically; you must pay a little extra to receive a T2007 license.

Hi Stanislav,
thanks for the information, although I'm not glad to hear that...

@Deborah,

in order not to lose time, I advice you to look in the DVX2 Yahoo group and searching for this issue there. In order to post a question you will have to register (which is fast).

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/messages/117667?tidx=1

Or: Contact the Atril support directly.

Greets,
Mike

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:04
English to Turkish
+ ...
problem is in Trados 2007 Jul 16, 2012

Hi Deborah,

It is not a problem related with Cyrillic or DVX but Trados 7. If you can send a short sample (both TMX and Text exports), I can try to help.

Selcuk

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Trados text 2.0-6.0... manual encoding definition... Jul 17, 2012

Deborah Kolosova wrote:

I actually tried both TMX 1.4b and the Trados 7.x txt format for the export; as I said before, the TMX caused an error,

The TMX is malformed (invalid chars, invalid header...), DVX ix very sensitive to this kind of errors.
Try to repair it using e.g. Olifant.

and the Trados 7 format gave me gibberish instead of Russian.

It's a bug in the Trados TWB import filter, the code pages are interpreted incorrectly for the 7.0-8.0 format even if you force the correct encoding (i.e. UTF-8).
Use the Trados 2.0-6.0 format instead (i.e. in Workbench, export as Trados text 2.0-6.0).
It works as a charm unless you have a lot of symbols in your text (Greek etc.), TWB 2.0-6.0 doesn't handle Unicode chars directly and uses escaped sequences, it may cause some mess.

PS.
Sorry, I'm in hurrry now, a did a stupid mistake above.
It's still a DVX bug but if you specify manually the Unicode encoding instead of UTF-8 for ALL languages, the Trados 7.x-8.x text files will be imported correctly...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2012-07-17 10:08 GMT]

Deborah Kolosova
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Grzegorz! Jul 17, 2012

I tried both tricks (exporting into the Trados 2.x-6.x format and importing into DVX2 as usual, and using the Trados 7.x format and importing specifying Unicode), and both worked fine.

Sergiy Cherednichenko
Sergiy Cherednichenko
Ukraine
Local time: 16:04
Russian to English
+ ...
Olifant helped Aug 29, 2012

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
The TMX is malformed (invalid chars, invalid header...), DVX ix very sensitive to this kind of errors.

I had the same problem as the topic starter importing a .tmx TM exported from Trados Studio. Olifant helped. Grzegorz, thanks a lot for your advice!

ValPerGar
ValPerGar
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed! Sep 2, 2013

Sergiy Cherednichenko wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

I had the same problem as the topic starter importing a .tmx TM exported from Trados Studio. Olifant helped. Grzegorz, thanks a lot for your advice!

Same here! Thank you very much Grzegorz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

importing Trados TMs to DejaVu X2

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »