How do I import a Trados MultiTerm glossary into a Déjà Vu translation memory?
Thread poster: Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 13:47
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Sep 3, 2010

Dear colleagues,

A client just sent me a MultiTerm glossary. Can anybody tell me if it is possible to import this glossary into a Déjà Vu translation memory?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Kind regards,

Olaf

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:47
French to Polish
+ ...
Possible but potentially (very) tricky Sep 5, 2010

Olaf Reibedanz wrote:

A client just sent me a MultiTerm glossary.

Which Multiterm version?
The old MT 5.x or the newer Java based crapware?

Can anybody tell me if it is possible to import this glossary into a Déjà Vu translation memory?

In both cases, it's possible although it's no direct import procedure.

DVX is able to import the exported MT 5.x txt files if the termbase structure is not too complex (AFAIR the DVX import filter fails if synonyms or other advanced data are present in the file).
A XLS macro is available somewhere on the Internet, it converts the TXT to XLS, then you can save it as CSV which can be easily imported in DVX.

For the MT iX/2007/2009 files, the main problem is the data export.
As these versions doesn't have reliable export filters, the default CSV export will produce garbage for almost all termbases except the simple 1:1 termlists.
So, if you have a complex termbase, you'll need to define your own export definition in Multiterm or use an external converter, e.g. Excelling Multiterm http://www.kaleidoscope.at/Deutsch/Software/ExpertTools/experttools.php
(a 3-day trial is available, AFAIR) or Across (free of charge but the XML-Across-CSV procedure is somehow complex).
Some conversion macros can be found on the Internet too but it seems they work only for simple termbases.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-09-05 08:34 GMT]

Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 13:47
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, GG! :-) Sep 12, 2010

And sorry for this late reply ...

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:47
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Converter Sep 12, 2010

As Grzegorz says, the biggest problem is exporting the data from Multiterm in a format other tools can handle. MT's tab delimited export is broken so that's out unless your termbase is a 1:1 term list with no missing entries, synonyms etc.
When this problem last came up, I wrote a little batch script that takes Multiterm's xml export and converts it to a tab delimited file. Synonyms, missing entries and the like are handled correctly. It's a messy hack, but it seems to work pretty well. It
... See more
As Grzegorz says, the biggest problem is exporting the data from Multiterm in a format other tools can handle. MT's tab delimited export is broken so that's out unless your termbase is a 1:1 term list with no missing entries, synonyms etc.
When this problem last came up, I wrote a little batch script that takes Multiterm's xml export and converts it to a tab delimited file. Synonyms, missing entries and the like are handled correctly. It's a messy hack, but it seems to work pretty well. It may well be the best option you have if the termbase is complex.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/files/MT_XML_converter_1.2.zip/download
IIRC the .zip contains a readme with most of what you need to know, and a couple of other scripts: one that moves synonyms to new lines, which you'll definitely need here if there are any synonyms in the TB, and one to remove duplicate entries.
In the aligner package, there's also a script to generate a TMX from the final tab delimited file, so between them, these scripts should do everything you need done. The converter hasn't been tested that thoroughly, so check the results, esp. the number of entries.

Don't forget to convert the TMX to UTF-8 before running MT_XML_converter.bat.
Tested on MT 7, works on Windows.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I import a Trados MultiTerm glossary into a Déjà Vu translation memory?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »