Thread poster: Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:23
German to English
+ ...
Aug 30, 2008

In the taskbar on my working computer I have shortcuts for various tools, including Trados Workbench. As you all know, a single click launches an application here. When I'm really tired sometimes I'll double-click that TWB icon and have to deal with the error message informing me that I have no license for the second instance.

Well, this afternoon I was browsing a bunch of old projects collecting statistics, and afterward I realized that I had forgotten to close most of them. There
... See more
In the taskbar on my working computer I have shortcuts for various tools, including Trados Workbench. As you all know, a single click launches an application here. When I'm really tired sometimes I'll double-click that TWB icon and have to deal with the error message informing me that I have no license for the second instance.

Well, this afternoon I was browsing a bunch of old projects collecting statistics, and afterward I realized that I had forgotten to close most of them. There were SEVEN working instances of DVX running on my little laptop. I appreciate the fact that Atril doesn't seem to care how often I launch DV as long as I have a license. I suppose there's a way to abuse this using a terminal server (though I'm not deep enough into such things these days to know that any more), but of course I wouldn't dream of doing that. Right or not, I'll take it as a sign of a basically better attitude down there in Spain.
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:23
English to German
+ ...
Another related effect Aug 31, 2008

Comparing DVX to its Idiom clone "Worldserver Desktop Workbench", I noticed something similar: In DVX, you can open your TD in a separate window while you are using it as a reference in your open DVX project window. In Idiom you have to close the project instance before you can open the TD..

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:23
English to Turkish
+ ...
That makes 7 more reasons :) Sep 1, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:
There were SEVEN working instances of DVX running on my little laptop.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:23
French to Polish
+ ...
Older Idiom versions... a workaround... Sep 29, 2008

Harry Bornemann wrote:

Comparing DVX to its Idiom clone "Worldserver Desktop Workbench", I noticed something similar: In DVX, you can open your TD in a separate window while you are using it as a reference in your open DVX project window. In Idiom you have to close the project instance before you can open the TD..

In the Idiom 7.x, the comportment was the same as in DVX.
They screwed it in their own version of editor, starting from 8.x.

If you have another machine, you can clone your project/MDB/TDB and work in "two instances".
Of course, you should synchronize the data from time to time.
SDL makes the translation easier and faster

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

One more reason to love DVX

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »