இழை இடுபவர்: Magda Dziadosz
Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
ஸ்பெயின்
Local time: 23:28
ஸ்பேனிஷ் - ஆங்கிலம்
+ ...
Attention BARCELONA Sep 28, 2005

Easyjet just mailed me saying a Barcelona>Berlin option is now available. Recommended route = Barcelona>Berlin>Cracow. Round trip shouldn't cost more than 90 eu.

In the event an overnight stay is needed, Holiday Inn's airport hotel is 60 eu. a night.

See you!

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
ஹங்கேரி
உறுப்பினர் (2002)
ஆங்கிலம் - ஹங்கேரியன்
+ ...
Car sharing between Budapest and Kraków Sep 29, 2005

Fo anyone who might be interested, I will be driving from Budapest to Kraków and back (about 4-5 hours driving). At least two seats are still available.
Contact me through my profile page if you are interested.
Csaba / Budapest

Halina Arendt
Halina Arendt  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:28
ஆங்கிலம் - போலிஷ்
+ ...
The weather in November Sep 30, 2005

Nobody seems to have mentioned the climatic conditions to be expected in Kraków at the end of November. Whilst I understand that off-season you get bargain prices (I hope!) this is offset by limitations imposed by the (possibly) adverse wintry weather conditions. That's what's stopping me in my tracks from booking up. Can you alleviate my concerns?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
ஜெர்மணி
உறுப்பினர் (2003)
போலிஷ் - ஜெர்மன்
+ ...
Please don't exaggerate - the weather in Cracow is not worser than in London at the same time Sep 30, 2005

It will be cold, no questions.
It may rain, but don't expect arctic temperatures, we are in the middle of Europe, not in Sibiria.
I used to live there for 24 years, now we are visiting the city every winter on X-Mas.
The weather there is usually better than here in Dortmund.

The hotel shall be warm and nice place, and as we only need to get there and hold all our activities within the hotel during the conference, I do not see the reason for getting scared about the
... See more
It may rain, but don't expect arctic temperatures, we are in the middle of Europe, not in Sibiria.
I used to live there for 24 years, now we are visiting the city every winter on X-Mas.

The hotel shall be warm and nice place, and as we only need to get there and hold all our activities within the hotel during the conference, I do not see the reason for getting scared about the weather

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Halina Arendt
Halina Arendt  Identity Verified
ஆங்கிலம் - போலிஷ்
+ ...
What about skiing at the same time? Oct 2, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

The hotel shall be warm and nice place, and as we only need to get there and hold all our activities within the hotel during the conference, I do not see the reason for getting scared about the weather

Regards
Jerzy

What if I wanted to combine this with some skiing?

Jerzy Czopik
ஜெர்மணி
உறுப்பினர் (2003)
போலிஷ் - ஜெர்மன்
+ ...
Skiing in Cracow? Oct 2, 2005

There are no hills or mountains sutable for skiing in Cracow, if you want to ride more than few hundred meters. There may be some places just for very beginners and kids, but I wouldn't expect to have enough snow in the middle of the city at this time of the year.
Or do you mean skiing somwhere else?
With some luck you might go to Zakopane or other places in High Tatra for skiing, but I wouldn't hope for too much. One month later yes, but in November?

Regards
Jerzy

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
போலந்து
உறுப்பினர் (2004)
ஆங்கிலம் - போலிஷ்
+ ...
தலைப்பை ஆரம்பித்தல்
No glaciers in Poland :) Oct 2, 2005

Halina Arendt wrote:

What if I wanted to combine this with some skiing?

Then you should come again for Christmas - when the ski season in Zakopane begins.

Magda

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
ஹங்கேரி
உறுப்பினர் (2002)
ஆங்கிலம் - ஹங்கேரியன்
+ ...
Wieliczka salt mines Oct 3, 2005

An interesting side trip from Kraków is the Wieliczka salt mines, listed as a World Heritage site. It is a short ride from the city, and the visit itself takes just over an hour. This small town used be a famous salt mining center since the middle ages, and now it offers a unique underground experience, including a huge underground chapel, complete with an altar, saints, etc., all carved out of salt.

Csaba

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
யுனைடட் கிங்டம்
இத்தாலியன் - ஆங்கிலம்
Bus timetables Oct 7, 2005

Ryanair refers to the public transport facilities between the airport and city of Krakow, on http://www.mpk.krakow.pl but this site is only in Polish.
Could one of our polish speaking friends kindly identify the page with the timetable between the airport and Listopada 29?
Are tickets bought on the bus?
Many thanks.

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
ஆங்கிலம் - போலிஷ்
+ ...
Railway special offer Oct 11, 2005

http://www.pkp.pl/oferta_wybor.php?id=30

For those within to go by train: you can get a ticket much cheaper, if you buy it one week in advance, without a possibility to modify anything.

I did not find an English vesion
... See more

For those within to go by train: you can get a ticket much cheaper, if you buy it one week in advance, without a possibility to modify anything.

I did not find an English vesion of this page. In short: for PLN 36 you can take ANY route within Poland. That's 3-4 times cheaper than regular rates.

The number of such tickets is limited. My experience shows, that you have to buy them not a week, but at least a month in advance. Perhaps we should arrange for someone to buy some both ways (XX -> Kraków, Kraków -> XX) in places people will be going from (Warszawa, Gdañsk). I can buy some Kraków -> XX, just let me know ASAP.
Collapse

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
யுனைடட் கிங்டம்
உறுப்பினர் (2004)
ஆங்கிலம் - லாத்வியன்
+ ...
Getting from airport to hotel Oct 11, 2005

My Polish is rather poor but as far as I understand, you can buy tickets in the special ticket machines or on the bus or train. That means that you might need some Polish coins, if you intend to use the ticket machine. Mind you, it can be a bit tricky.

Speaking about getting from airport to hotel, can anybody tell us which is the best way to get to the hotel. I arrive quite late on Thursday and might have some difficulties using the public transport. How late does it usually run? Wh
... See more
My Polish is rather poor but as far as I understand, you can buy tickets in the special ticket machines or on the bus or train. That means that you might need some Polish coins, if you intend to use the ticket machine. Mind you, it can be a bit tricky.

Speaking about getting from airport to hotel, can anybody tell us which is the best way to get to the hotel. I arrive quite late on Thursday and might have some difficulties using the public transport. How late does it usually run? Which number of bus or train (tram?) we need? Rough estimate of the taxi fare?

Burrell
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
ஜெர்மணி
உறுப்பினர் (2003)
போலிஷ் - ஜெர்மன்
+ ...
Take the taxi Oct 11, 2005

Don´t take the bus, as they connet the airport with the city centre. However, the hotel is a bit outside, so you will need to take the taxi anyway.

Maybe we could use this thread to build taxi-gropus

But don´t worry, there are more than enough taxies waiting at the airport.

In case of any doubts contact me via my profile - Cracow used to be my home town for long and I was visiting it rece
... See more
Don´t take the bus, as they connet the airport with the city centre. However, the hotel is a bit outside, so you will need to take the taxi anyway.

Maybe we could use this thread to build taxi-gropus

But don´t worry, there are more than enough taxies waiting at the airport.

In case of any doubts contact me via my profile - Cracow used to be my home town for long and I was visiting it recently. In fact I was there until today.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

LegalTrans D
LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
துருக்கி
உறுப்பினர் (2003)
ஆங்கிலம் - ஜெர்மன்
+ ...
Taxi fare Oct 11, 2005

Thanks for all the info, Jerzy. One more question - what would be a fair (approximate) taxi fair from the airport to the hotel? Reason I'm asking is that I would like to know what I'm up against...

Thanks!

Volkmar

BTW - Who else will be arriving around 4.30 pm on Thu 24 Nov and would want to share a taxi with me? Pls reply directly via my profile.

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
யுனைடட் கிங்டம்
உறுப்பினர் (2004)
ஆங்கிலம் - லாத்வியன்
+ ...
Any idea of the taxi cost? Oct 11, 2005

The thing is I have to know how much Polish money to order from the bank. As I arrive late, there will be no opportunity to change currency in Krakow. Also would be nice to know if I am seriously overcharged (I went to Portugal in summer and while in Porto I had to ask my stepdaughter, who is Portuguese, to order coffe in the cafes, because I was charged 2 euros for a cup, whereas Portuguese were charged 50 cents!!! The thing is I speak perfectly passable Portuguese myself).
Do the cash ma
... See more
The thing is I have to know how much Polish money to order from the bank. As I arrive late, there will be no opportunity to change currency in Krakow. Also would be nice to know if I am seriously overcharged (I went to Portugal in summer and while in Porto I had to ask my stepdaughter, who is Portuguese, to order coffe in the cafes, because I was charged 2 euros for a cup, whereas Portuguese were charged 50 cents!!! The thing is I speak perfectly passable Portuguese myself).
Do the cash machines allow the foreign card users to withdraw cash?

Rgds,
Burrell
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
ஜெர்மணி
உறுப்பினர் (2003)
போலிஷ் - ஜெர்மன்
+ ...
I have not tried taxis myself Oct 11, 2005

as we are allways collected by someone from our family...
However, the easyjet folder states a taxi cost of appriximately 40 PLN to get from the airport into the city, which should be perfectly the same for the hotel (in fact the distance to from the airport should be nearly the same into the city and to the hotel). The airport website states approximately 50 PLN for taxi (please see here... See more
as we are allways collected by someone from our family...
However, the easyjet folder states a taxi cost of appriximately 40 PLN to get from the airport into the city, which should be perfectly the same for the hotel (in fact the distance to from the airport should be nearly the same into the city and to the hotel). The airport website states approximately 50 PLN for taxi (please see here).

If I may give you a tip: DO NOT EXCHANGE MONEY ANYWHERE IN POLAND!!!
Simply use the first cash point (BANKOMAT) you see. There is one located at the airport. You will be charged the official exchange rate, which is far better then at any exhange point in the city. You can withdraw money with any Maestro, Master, Visa or similar card. We are using this possibility since many years.

The actual official exchange rate for PLN to Euro is 3,8693 (as for October, 11; 12 pm).

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

பதிவின் பக்கங்கள்:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

இந்த மன்றத்துக்கான மட்டுறுத்துனர்கள்
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com Conference Krakow 2005: TRAVEL INFO

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »