Hungarian translator wishing to join an international translators' association- which one?
Thread poster: Orsolya Bugar-Buday
Orsolya Bugar-Buday
Orsolya Bugar-Buday  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 20:41
English to Hungarian
+ ...
May 17, 2013

Dear Colleagues,

I started this very same discussion in the Proz.com LinkedIn group, so now I'm posing this question to you too.

I'm a Hungarian interpreter, translator, member of MFTE (Association of Hungarian Translators and Interpreters), in the process of applying for membership in AIIC. But I'm looking for something similar also as a translator.

I checked ATA and IAPTI but they seem to be concentrating more on the American market. I'd be grateful for t
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I started this very same discussion in the Proz.com LinkedIn group, so now I'm posing this question to you too.

I'm a Hungarian interpreter, translator, member of MFTE (Association of Hungarian Translators and Interpreters), in the process of applying for membership in AIIC. But I'm looking for something similar also as a translator.

I checked ATA and IAPTI but they seem to be concentrating more on the American market. I'd be grateful for the inputs of Europe-based colleagues, mainly, but any comments, suggestions are welcome.

Thank you in advance,
Orsolya

[Edited at 2013-05-17 12:09 GMT]
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:41
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Me, too. May 17, 2013

I would like to join the queue. I am also in search of an international organization that I can join as a translator/interpreter. I do not know of any other than ProZ.

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 15:41
English to Spanish
IAPTI May 17, 2013

There is an International Association of Professional Translators and Interpreters (http://www.aipti.org/eng/) that is an NPO and an observer member of the FIT (you can also search for hundreds of FIT members by location in their directory at fit-ift.org).

The IAPTI is headquartered in Bs As, Argentina, but they are certainly international with many members
... See more
There is an International Association of Professional Translators and Interpreters (http://www.aipti.org/eng/) that is an NPO and an observer member of the FIT (you can also search for hundreds of FIT members by location in their directory at fit-ift.org).

The IAPTI is headquartered in Bs As, Argentina, but they are certainly international with many members throughout the world... I'm not a member so I cannot give you any reviews as to their activities and benefits, but I know some of the people on the Board and they are awfully nice (perhaps some other translator can chime in and let us know their experience with them?).
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
IAPTI May 17, 2013

Rossana Triaca wrote:

The IAPTI is headquartered in Bs As, Argentina, but they are certainly international with many members throughout the world...

53 countries as of last count (February).

I'm not a member so I cannot give you any reviews as to their activities and benefits, but I know some of the people on the Board and they are awfully nice (perhaps some other translator can chime in and let us know their experience with them?).

You could check them out at:
www.facebook.com/IAPTI
twitter @iapti
or open forums on: http://tinyurl.com/6gguf2s

Benefits include a discount on specialized (T&I) publications from St. Jerome, a discount on subscriptions to Payment Practices and certain software products, apart from the usual professional profile page, forum for business matters, internal and other publications, and e-mail account. Regular professional development webinars are also offered quite often, some of which are free or at a member discount. It networks and pools efforts with other national, regional and international T&I associations.

[Edited at 2013-05-17 15:01 GMT]

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
IAPTI May 17, 2013

Szia, Orsolya!

As a member of IAPTI, I don't feel that the association focuses on the American market in particular. IAPTI aims to promote ethical practices in the field of translation and interpretation all over the world.

Take a look at the bylaws and the articles on IAPTI's website, or the association's to promote ethical practices in the field of translation and interpretation all over the world.

Take a look at the bylaws and the articles on IAPTI's website, or the association's LinkedIn group and Facebook wall. And if you like how IAPTI stands up for freelancers, join us.

Take care,
Attila

[Edited at 2013-05-17 17:40 GMT]
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:41
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Seconded! May 17, 2013

Attila Piróth wrote:

Szia, Orsolya!

As a member of IAPTI, I don't feel that the association focuses on the American market in particular. IAPTI aims to promote ethical practices in the field of translation and interpretation all over the world.

Take a look at the bylaws and the articles onm IAPTI's website, or the association's LinkedIn group and Facebook wall. And if you like how IAPTI stands up for freelancers, join us.

Take

Attila, you beat me to it

Orsolya Bugar-Buday
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 18, 2013

Thank you ,colleagues, for all your valuable comments.

Another question: do your clients know what IAPTI is? Are they familiar with the organization?

[Edited at 2013-05-18 08:49 GMT]

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Some do May 18, 2013

Several members of IAPTI have reported that outsourcers found them through the association's directory.

I also know for granted that members tend to recommend other IAPTI members to their own clients; the private forum of the association is an excellent place to get to know each other. And one day a colleague may be asked whether they know someone working in your language pair and specialty field.

And then there are also other outsourcers who heard of IAPTI, because I
... See more
Several members of IAPTI have reported that outsourcers found them through the association's directory.

I also know for granted that members tend to recommend other IAPTI members to their own clients; the private forum of the association is an excellent place to get to know each other. And one day a colleague may be asked whether they know someone working in your language pair and specialty field.

And then there are also other outsourcers who heard of IAPTI, because IAPTI stood up against their unethical business practices. Among others, IAPTI actively supported UK court interpreters boycotting the new framework agreement.

Best,
Attila

[Edited at 2013-05-18 16:54 GMT]
Collapse

Orsolya Bugar-Buday
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
already a member of IAPTI! Aug 1, 2013

Thank you for your valuable input, colleagues. I joined IAPTI a few days ago!

All the best to you,
Orsolya

Jamie_Liu
Jamie_Liu  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 02:41
English to Chinese
How to join the Proz.com LinkedIn group Aug 2, 2013

Orsolya Bugar-Buday wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

Orsolya

[Edited at 2013-05-17 12:09 GMT]

Hi Orsolya, I want to join an international translators' association too! And could you kindly tell me how to join the LinkedIn group here? Thanks a lot!

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Professional Translators and Interpreters (ProZ.com) on Linkedin Aug 2, 2013

Jamie Liu wrote:

And could you kindly tell me how to join the LinkedIn group here? Thanks a lot!

Dear Jamie,

You may join the Professional Translators and Interpreters (ProZ.com) on Linkedin here .

Best regards,
Romina

Orsolya Bugar-Buday
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
how to join IAPTI Aug 3, 2013

Hello Jamie,

In order to join IAPTI you must fill the Registration Form on their website. If your application is approved, you'll receive an email with the rest of the things to do (payment of membership fee etc.). It's a very straigthforward process, and IAPTI-staff is very helpful.

Good luck!
Orsolya

Jamie Liu wrote:

Hi Orsolya, I want to join an international translators' association too! And could you kindly tell me how to join the LinkedIn group here? Thanks a lot!

Jamie_Liu
China
English to Chinese
Already joined the group Aug 4, 2013

RominaZ wrote:

Dear Jamie,

You may join the Professional Translators and Interpreters (ProZ.com) on Linkedin here .

Best regards,
Romina

Thank you very much for letting me know the group! I saw your topic of self-introduction there, very interesting!

Jamie_Liu
China
English to Chinese
Gonna do that Aug 4, 2013

Orsolya Bugar-Buday wrote:

Hello Jamie,

In order to join IAPTI you must fill the Registration Form on their website. If your application is approved, you'll receive an email with the rest of the things to do (payment of membership fee etc.). It's a very straigthforward process, and IAPTI-staff is very helpful.

Good luck!
Orsolya

Thanks Orsolya for the information! I'll do that!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hungarian translator wishing to join an international translators' association- which one?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »