Thread poster: Lidia Morejudo
Lidia Morejudo
Lidia Morejudo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 16, 2009

I need to find a bilingual dictionary for one of my students, she spelled the name of her native language for me, it spells Karro.
Does anybody know where I can get hold of a bilingual dictionary in this language?

Albert Golub
Albert Golub  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:54
English to French
must be Karo (Ethiopa) Jan 16, 2009

Karo (Omotic),

Delminda
Delminda
English to Portuguese
Grant & Cutler or Africa Book Centre Jan 16, 2009

Does anybody know where I can get hold of a bilingual dictionary in this language?

Lidia,
If you are based in London you could try Grant & Cutler (if they don't have it in stock they can order it for you) or the Africa Book Centre. You could also try to find it online.
Otherwise, in South London (Lambeth, Southwark, etc.) there is a big Ethiopian/Eritrean/Somali community, there is even a Somali bookshop, maybe they can help you.
Saludos.

http://www.grantandcutler.com/
http://www.africabookcentre.com/

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:54
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
I'd be amazed if there is one published :-) Jan 16, 2009

Based on the fact that:

200 (1998 M. Yigezu).
Region South Omo Region, upstream from the Daasanech, riverside settlements near the Hamer-Banna.
Alternate names KERRE, CHERRE, KERE
Classification Afro-Asiatic, Omotic, South.
Comments Dialect or closely related language to Hamer-Banna. 81% lexical similarity with Hamer-Banna. Many use Nyangatom as second language. Different from Kara of Sudan which is Central Sudanic. They have a service relationship wit
... See more
Based on the fact that:

200 (1998 M. Yigezu).
Region South Omo Region, upstream from the Daasanech, riverside settlements near the Hamer-Banna.
Alternate names KERRE, CHERRE, KERE
Classification Afro-Asiatic, Omotic, South.
Comments Dialect or closely related language to Hamer-Banna. 81% lexical similarity with Hamer-Banna. Many use Nyangatom as second language. Different from Kara of Sudan which is Central Sudanic. They have a service relationship with the Banna. Investigation needed: intelligibility with Hamer-Banna, bilingual proficiency in Nyangatom. SOV. Literacy rate in second language: 1.5%. Agriculturalists.

?

Liz Askew

p.s.

I think you will have your work cut out:-)

based on:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=C7XhcYoFxaQC&pg=PA81&lpg=PA81&dq=African%20languages%20dictionaries%20Karo%20Ethiopia&source=web&ots=eVFr4Vm2un&sig=y2a2HXS5Y_te5Mo5iZaDNk75AWk&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result

[Edited at 2009-01-16 16:58 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

African language

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »