Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >
Ask me anything about subtitling
Thread poster: Max Deryagin
Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)
Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:18
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It leads me another question... Sep 18, 2021

And what about from Open Subtitles to CC with the same technical specifications?

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:18
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Sep 18, 2021

Liliane Ribas (Tambasco) wrote:

And what about from Open Subtitles to CC with the same technical specifications?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean here, but I would charge more for open subtitles, because I'd add a surcharge for burning them in.

Yaotl Altan

Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)
Liliane Ribas (Tambasco)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:18
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks. Sep 19, 2021

Thanks again, Max.

I meant regular Subtitles without burning.

I was just wondering if people charged more for CC for whatever reason.
Have a good Sunday.

oneManPartyCrew
oneManPartyCrew
Germany
Timing messed Up Sep 26, 2021

Hey,
I'm new to subtitling and I hope this question has not yet been answered.
Whenever I import a xml or rtf file into Subtitle Edit (or a plattform that converts the file format) all my timings and lenghts are messed up, if I compare them to the files opened in a text editor. I played around with framerates and changing the lenght by percent, but nothing has helped yet.
Thanks in Advance

[Bearbeitet am 2021-09-26 18:16 GMT]

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Sep 26, 2021

oneManPartyCrew wrote:

Hey,
Whenever I import a xml or rtf file into Subtitle Edit (or a plattform that converts the file format) all my timings and lenghts are messed up, if I compare them to the files opened in a text editor. I played around with framerates and changing the lenght by percent, but nothing has helped yet.
Thanks in Advance

Hi oneManPartyCrew,

There can be many reasons for the discrepancy, but most likely it's a framerate error.

1. Where do you get these xml and rtf files from? Are they encoded correctly?
2. Are these subtitle files or closed caption files?
3. Do you choose the right framerate in the subtitling software, the one that matches the video's framerate?
4. Do the timings differ a lot or just slightly?
5. Is the timing offset constant or does it increase progressively? Or is it perhaps random?

If you answer these questions, it'll be easier for me to pinpoint the issue.

Yaotl Altan

oneManPartyCrew
oneManPartyCrew
Germany
Timing messed Up Sep 26, 2021

Max Deryagin wrote:

oneManPartyCrew wrote:

Hey,
Thanks in Advance

Hi oneManPartyCrew,

There can be many reasons for the discrepancy, but most likely it's a framerate error.

3. Do you choose the right framerate in the subtitling software, the one that matches the video's framerate?
5. Is the timing offset constant or does it increase progressively? Or is it perhaps random?

Hello Max,
I'll try to answer your question as good as I can.
1. I got one of these files from the publisher. They should be encodes correctly as they are also used to for the DCP-Production
2. I dont't actually know the difference between those two.
3. i use Subtitle edit and think I chose the right framerate. The problem is I don't have the videos yet. I just wanted to combine the Reels and while importing the files, the timings and lenghts are different compared to the original file watched through a text editor.
4&5 The timings differ slightly and increase progressively. It doesn't seem random.

Because of this I thought it is a framerate issue. But playing with different framerates, didn't solve the problem.

Thanks a Lot for your help

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Sep 26, 2021

oneManPartyCrew wrote:

Max Deryagin wrote:

oneManPartyCrew wrote:

Hey,
Thanks in Advance

Hi oneManPartyCrew,

Hello Max,
1. I got one of these files from the publisher. They should be encodes correctly as they are also used to for the DCP-Production
3. i use Subtitle edit and think I chose the right framerate. The problem is I don't have the videos yet. I just wanted to combine the Reels and while importing the files, the timings and lenghts are different compared to the original file watched through a text editor.
4&5 The timings differ slightly and increase progressively. It doesn't seem random.

Because of this I thought it is a framerate issue. But playing with different framerates, didn't solve the problem.

If they differ slightly and increase progressively, then it's definitely a framerate issue — either you're picking the wrong framerate or choosing the wrong option between drop-frame and non-drop-frame. Chances are, you need 24 fps (standard for DCP) and your setting is 23.976. If you open your file in Subtitle Edit, then go to Synchronisation > Change frame rate and convert from 23.976 to 24, does that fix the issue?

Yaotl Altan

oneManPartyCrew
oneManPartyCrew
Germany
Timing Sep 26, 2021

Max Deryagin wrote:

Hello Max,

If they differ slightly and increase progressively, then it's definitely a framerate issue — either you're picking the wrong framerate or choosing the wrong option between drop-frame and non-drop-frame. Chances are, you need 24 fps (standard for DCP) and your setting is 23.976. If you open your file in Subtitle Edit, then go to Synchronisation > Change frame rate and convert from 23.976 to 24, does that fix the issue? [/quote]
Hey,
This is the first thing I tried and it didn't help.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Sep 27, 2021

oneManPartyCrew wrote:
Hey,
This is the first thing I tried and it didn't help.

Then I'd try doing 24 to 29.97, and if that doesn't work then I'm afraid you'll need to first get the videos or ask the publisher — otherwise, it's just guessing.

Nica Wooters
Nica Wooters
United States
Local time: 01:18
Member (2022)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Transcription for Subtitling Project Sep 27, 2021

Hello,

I am helping a friend on an oral history project in which he wants to transcribe and translate audio from a video interview he did with his grandparents several years back, before they passed away. I have been looking into subtitling programs that would work for this project and in doing a bit of research I have found that most of the platforms are set up for video that is in its final form (i.e. already edited) which is not the case for this footage.

My friend
... See more
Hello,

I am helping a friend on an oral history project in which he wants to transcribe and translate audio from a video interview he did with his grandparents several years back, before they passed away. I have been looking into subtitling programs that would work for this project and in doing a bit of research I have found that most of the platforms are set up for video that is in its final form (i.e. already edited) which is not the case for this footage.

My friend is not a Spanish speaker, and the audio is mainly in Spanish, so I'm tasked with transcribing the audio and translating it. Once that is done my friend will want to go over the transcript with timecodes in order to make decisions about editing. In other words, we don't need the subtitling right this second, but we do want all of the features that the subtitling platforms offer (timecodes, audio waveform that make it easy to target the speech in a video, etc.) for the transcription. Once we do edit the video, we will of course want to throw subtitles in as well. I've thought about splitting the process up (transcription+translation / subtitling) , but most the transcription platforms I have seen lack an audio waveform which I think would really help me speed up the process.

Does anyone have experience with a similar sequence? I'm sure this must come up in other areas (I'm thinking documentary films in particular) so hopefully someone has thoughts on this.

Also, just thanks so much for this amazing thread! I have referred back to it a bunch of times in trying to work this project out and it's been incredibly helpful.

[Edited at 2021-09-27 22:35 GMT]
Collapse

Max Deryagin

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Sep 28, 2021

mcwooters wrote:

Hello,

My friend is not a Spanish speaker, and the audio is mainly in Spanish, so I'm tasked with transcribing the audio and translating it. Once that is done my friend will want to go over the transcript with timecodes in order to make decisions about editing. In other words, we don't need the subtitling right this second, but we do want all of the features that the subtitling platforms offer (timecodes, audio waveform that make it easy to target the speech in a video, etc.) for the transcription. Once we do edit the video, we will of course want to throw subtitles in as well. I've thought about splitting the process up (transcription+translation / subtitling) , but most the transcription platforms I have seen lack an audio waveform which I think would really help me speed up the process.

Does anyone have experience with a similar sequence? I'm sure this must come up in other areas (I'm thinking documentary films in particular) so hopefully someone has thoughts on this.

Also, just thanks so much for this amazing thread! I have referred back to it a bunch of times in trying to work this project out and it's been incredibly helpful.

Hi mcwooters,

If the original footage is continuous, what you can do is subtitle it using any subtitling tool (e.g. Subtitle Edit), export your subs as .srt and then import them into any NLE with subtitling support, e.g. DaVinci Resolve (just drag-and-drop the file).

If it's a bunch of shots, you can subtitle each individual shot and embed the subs (e.g. in Handbrake or DaVinci Resolve), so that they're part of the image.

If you need a timed transcript, you can use Express Scribe. It doesn't have a waveform, but you can paste timestamps with a hotkey.

Nica Wooters
Nica Wooters
United States
Local time: 01:18
Member (2022)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks! Sep 30, 2021

Hi mcwooters,

If the original footage is continuous, what you can do is subtitle it using any subtitling tool (e.g. Subtitle Edit), export your subs as .srt and then import them into any NLE with subtitling support, e.g. DaVinci Resolve (just drag-and-drop the file).

If it's a bunch of shots, you can subtitle each individual shot and embed the subs (e.g. in Ha... See more

Hi mcwooters,

If it's a bunch of shots, you can subtitle each individual shot and embed the subs (e.g. in Handbrake or DaVinci Resolve), so that they're part of the image.

If you need a timed transcript, you can use Express Scribe. It doesn't have a waveform, but you can paste timestamps with a hotkey

Thanks so much Max. I am trying out Subtitle Edit now and we will see how it goes!
Collapse

Meszroom
Meszroom
Poland
Custom positioning of DCI XML subtitles Oct 29, 2021

Hello!

I'm looking for software where I can create DCI XML subtitles with the custom positioning of each subtitle. For example, I want one subtitle in the movie to be positioned differently than all the others by a custom value (ex. a little to the right) with a WYSIWYG interface. Do you have any experience in that field? What do you think is the best solution with affordable pricing?

Thank you!

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Oct 29, 2021

Meszroom wrote:

Hello!

I'm looking for software where I can create DCI XML subtitles with the custom positioning of each subtitle. For example, I want one subtitle in the movie to be positioned differently than all the others by a custom value (ex. a little to the right) with a WYSIWYG interface. Do you have any experience in that field? What do you think is the best solution with affordable pricing?

Thank you!

Hi Meszroom,

I think SubtitleNEXT has such functionality.

whitelighter
whitelighter
United States
punctuation in Russian subtitling Nov 1, 2021

According to Netflix guidelines, in Russian subtitling an ellipse should be used to indicate an abrupt interruption of speech rather than two dashes. Is this universal or specific to Netflix? I personally think the two dashes work better, at least with English subtitles, but since I'm not a native Russian speaker I'm not sure if the dashes would convey an abrupt interruption as clearly as they do in English.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask me anything about subtitling

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »