Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italia
Local time: 10:24
Membru (2008)
din engleză în italiană
+ ...
Nov 26, 2009

Hello,

I went to the "Renew my Membership" page because I wanted to check how many Browniz I needed in order to get a discount and I had two bad surprises:

Browniz discount is non longer mentioned
Renewal price is 104 euros, whereas last year it was 96 euros for first-time membership.

I have two questions:
1. Is there any good use for Browniz left?
2. What justifies the price raise?

Bye,
Cristina

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:54
din germană în engleză
Browniz discount still included for me Nov 26, 2009

Hello Cristina,

I'm not renewing my membership right now, but after reading your post I had a look at the membership renewal page and the browniz discount has been included in the price indicated for me.

Maybe you should just submit a support request to clarify things.

Best wishes,
Niraja

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
Franţa
din franceză în engleză
+ ...
Browniz only work once Nov 26, 2009

I'm pretty sure that the Browniz discount only works once.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,
Jocelyne

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
Franţa
din franceză în engleză
+ ...
On second thought Nov 26, 2009

After reading Niraja's post, I had a look and it seems that I was wrong. I too see the renewal price including the Browniz discount...

There's hope yet!
Jocelyne

Cristina Lo Bianco
Italia
Membru (2008)
din engleză în italiană
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Maybe I just don't have enough Browniz Nov 26, 2009

Jocelyne S wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the Browniz discount only works once.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,
Jocelyne

I've never used it, but maybe it doesn't show because I don't have enough... it would be nice though to read something like: "You're not entitled to Browniz discount but you will when you reach x points".

Bye,
Cristina

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 05:24
PERSONAL PROZ.COM
Browniz discount available when you have the points; campaign offers Nov 26, 2009

Hi Cristina,

I see that you have 2,700 browniz points; the discount is traditionally for those with 4,000 or more points, so this is why you don't see the option. The discount will be shown each time you have that number of points, and is not a once-only deal.

As for the price difference you mention, it looks like you purchased membership during the last year-end campaign for the first time. During campaigns, there are usually offers to purchase new membership at a low
... See more
Hi Cristina,

I see that you have 2,700 browniz points; the discount is traditionally for those with 4,000 or more points, so this is why you don't see the option. The discount will be shown each time you have that number of points, and is not a once-only deal.

As for the price difference you mention, it looks like you purchased membership during the last year-end campaign for the first time. During campaigns, there are usually offers to purchase new membership at a lower rate; this is not a price increase (there hasn't been one for quite a while), but a temporary decrease during the campaign.

I hope this helps clarify a bit. If you have any other questions, let me know!

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Shmuel Binjamini

Cristina Lo Bianco
Italia
Membru (2008)
din engleză în italiană
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Thanks Jared Nov 26, 2009

Jared wrote:

I hope this helps clarify a bit. If you have any other questions, let me know!

Best regards,

Jared

Thanks Jared, now I understand.

Don't you think though that it would be useful to have the Browniz minimum stated somewhere on the membership page?

Just imagine someone had 3990 Browniz and couldn't remember if the amount required was 4000 or 4500, wouldn't it be nicer for him/her to find the information in the membership page instead of having to go through all the FAQ? He/she could then try and gain those last 10 points and be happy with his/her discount.

Bye,
Cristina

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
PERSONAL PROZ.COM
Should be clarified on the page, you're right Nov 26, 2009

Hi Cristina,

Cristina Lo Bianco wrote:

Don't you think though that it would be useful to have the Browniz minimum stated somewhere on the membership page?

I agree. I'll see if I can have this added. Thanks!

Jared

Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lituania
Local time: 11:24
din engleză în lituaniană
+ ...
To Jared: Along the same lines... Nov 26, 2009

I got the 4000-browniz discount last time I renewed my membership (I had a little over 4000), it was about 10 USD rebate. But I always wandered, what if I had 8000 browniz - would that mean a bigger discount? Or 4000 is the only one?

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
din engleză în germană
+ ...
Brownizs discount has always worked in my case.. Nov 27, 2009

Hi! You need about 4000 Browniz to get a price discount, that is how it was functioning for me all these years. Brandis

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spania
Membru (2005)
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
Have browniz - Are they any use? Nov 27, 2009

I have a ton of browniz I can never use. I would be glad to give Cristina the browniz she needs to reach the 4,000 and enjoy the discount.

Jared, can I do that or does the donation only work with non-members? If Cristina is a member, can she use my browniz to renew her membership?

Cristina Lo Bianco
Italia
Membru (2008)
din engleză în italiană
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Thanks! Nov 27, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I have a ton of browniz I can never use. I would be glad to give Cristina the browniz she needs to reach the 4,000 and enjoy the discount.

Thanks a lot Tomás, that's a very kind offer!
If Jared says it's possible, I will be really grateful in accepting it

If he says it isn't possible, I'm happy anyway as a result of your kind gesture)

Ciao,
Cristina

Off Topic:
By the way, good luck with your DipTrans in January! I've been following a few threads where you talked about trying it because I was thinking about trying it myself in the future. Maybe, in one year from now, I will contact you and other people to see if it really helped your business in the end.

Spania
Membru (2005)
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
Thanks a lot! Nov 27, 2009

Cristina Lo Bianco wrote:
By the way, good luck with your DipTrans in January! I've been following a few threads where you talked about trying it because I was thinking about trying it myself in the future. Maybe, in one year from now, I will contact you and other people to see if it really helped your business in the end.

OK! I will stay tuned about the browniz and take action when we have a reply.

As for the DipTrans, I am happy about the course I am finishing these days (with the City University London). You get to translate things you rarely get at work, get sensible reviews from the tutor, and face with quite some challenges that build a lot of muscle dealing with tricky expressions and finding idiomatic solutions. I sincerely recommend it even to experienced translators.

I must say that the texts I have seen, which are real exams from previous years, are chosen very cleverly indeed. In the first reading you notice where the main dozen of pitfalls are and how a less experienced person can fall in the trap. And you also keep discovering pitfalls while you translate. They are very interesting indeed.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
PERSONAL PROZ.COM
Current limitations of browniz point donation Nov 27, 2009

Hi again,

The donation of browniz points (which can be carried out at http://www.proz.com/?sp=bz_donate or by going to your browniz point history and clicking on the link to donate) currently only handles donations from members to non-members who wish to use the discount to purchase new membership. Since a browniz point discount also applies for one-year renewals, perhaps it makes sense to
... See more
Hi again,

The donation of browniz points (which can be carried out at http://www.proz.com/?sp=bz_donate or by going to your browniz point history and clicking on the link to donate) currently only handles donations from members to non-members who wish to use the discount to purchase new membership. Since a browniz point discount also applies for one-year renewals, perhaps it makes sense to update this.

For the time being, Tomás, if you can just confirm you are OK with me transferring the amount Cristina needs from you over to her I can take care of that in a jiffy (alternately, you can also use a support request and one of the support team can make the transfer, whichever is most convenient). Thanks!

Jared
Collapse

Spania
Membru (2005)
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
Yes, please do Jared! Nov 27, 2009

Jared wrote:
For the time being, Tomás, if you can just confirm you are OK with me transferring the amount Cristina needs from you over to her I can take care of that in a jiffy (alternately, you can also use a support request and one of the support team can make the transfer, whichever is most convenient). Thanks!

Jared, yes, please do transfer as many browniz from my account as Cristina needs to complete the level needed to receive the discount. I appreciate it!

Thanks a lot for the info about the current status of the donation feature!

Have a nice weekend,
Tomás

Număr de pagini:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorii acestui forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Membership: price and paying with Browniz

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »