mikhailo
Local time: 17:19
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 21, 2015

Spent a pair of hours trying to defeat DVX3 BUGS

How to reproduce them

1. create project and import in a small file with 50-100 segments

2. partially (pre)translate and make (get) some segments GUARANTEED (LOCKED)
3. share project to external xliff with NO SEGMENTS EXCLUDED (all segment)

4. Import this xlf-file into another existing project with more segments than in first one (may be there is a segments numbering conflict) and YOU SEE, t
... See more
Spent a pair of hours trying to defeat DVX3 BUGS

How to reproduce them

4. Import this xlf-file into another existing project with more segments than in first one (may be there is a segments numbering conflict) and YOU SEE, that DVX DO NOT IMPORT LOCKED segments. (HOW? IN OWN FILES???) — Here the bug #1 (Why DV do not import all segments from xlf without any warning)

DVX3 MUST import LOCKED/GUARANTEED segments as they are, especially from own files.

5. If You try to translate xlf in new project to the end and export - You got message DVX IS UNABLE TO EXPORT..... Own files......
Here the bug #2 (Why DV can't export you own xlf and also any tip WHY)

(But it can share castrated xlf into new xlf or rtf.

ATRIL don't create bugs in your program by yourself or block/warn wrong user actions (here import xlf with locked segments) at least .

Waiting for GOTO NEXT EMPTY function
And another good ideas

1) color separation of segments from different files (or file types) in whole project view. Now this problem is bypessed by locking segments in chosen files or marking them as MT through share-back import.
2) reimport back in single language align mode of finished translated files (from their original formats), for example, after external editing/reviewing.
Collapse

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
continuation Sep 22, 2015

BUG #3
If You join segments in DVX3 xlf-file during translation, you can't export this file from project.

Solution - split joined segments and remove appeared tags from sources and targets.

Atril_TEAM
Atril_TEAM
France
Local time: 16:19
Hi Mikhailo... Sep 22, 2015

... and thank your for your message.

Let me comment below:

4. Import this xlf-file into another existing project with more segments than in first one (may be there is a segments numbering conflict) and YOU SEE, that DVX DO ... See more
... and thank your for your message.

Let me comment below:

4. Import this xlf-file into another existing project with more segments than in first one (may be there is a segments numbering conflict) and YOU SEE, that DVX DO NOT IMPORT LOCKED segments. (HOW? IN OWN FILES???) — Here the bug #1 (Why DV do not import all segments from xlf without any warning)

DVX3 MUST import LOCKED/GUARANTEED segments as they are, especially from own files.

XLIFF external views are not meant to be used in DVX3. They are intended for third-party CAT tools, and are designed for this purpose only. When working when another DVX3 user, one has to use Satellite projects, which are meant to share the work between DVX3 users.

Guaranteed locked (or just locked segments) are imported in third-party CAT tools and displayed as locked (and the opposite is also true: DVX3 will import locked segments from third-party CAT tools and display them as such). This is the intended behavior. They won't be imported in DVX3 because of the way we deal with the translatable="no" attribute (we use it for different purposes). Then again, XLIFF EVs are not meant for interoperability with DVX3, but with other tools. Using XLIFF external views instead of satellite projects is bad practice.

5. If You try to translate xlf in new project to the end and export - You got message DVX IS UNABLE TO EXPORT..... Own files......

That should not happen. Please send the XLIFF external view to [email protected] and we will check what happens and fix it.

Talking about XLIFF files: you will be happy to know that DVX3 next build will contain a new XLIFF filter that will process illegal XML entities contained in certain files generated from third-party tools. I think I remembered you requesting this in another thread.

Feel free creating that filter using SQL under File>Options>SQL.
Give that filter a name ("Next empty" for instance) then click on "Build Expression".
Check the "Emty" box under "Translation Status", click "OK" then "Add" and you are done!

1) color separation of segments from different files (or file types) in whole project view. Now this problem is bypessed by locking segments in chosen files or marking them as MT through share-back import.

Do you know that you can also open single files on their own and that files names are displayed in the lower bar of the interface, so that you know which file you are translating exactly?

2) reimport back in single language align mode of finished translated files (from their original formats), for example, after external editing/reviewing.

I am not sure I understood this one. Can you elaborate?
Feel also free aligning the final version of the exported file with the source file.

Mikhailo, our Support Team is also available to address any questions or doubts about Deja Vu. This service is free of charge for users who purchase our software either via the TGB on www.proz.com or through the web store on www.atril.com (Proz.com users are entitled to an immediate 20% discount).

Kind regards,
Atril Team

[Edited at 2015-09-22 11:16 GMT]
Collapse

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re Sep 22, 2015

Atril Team wrote:

XLIFF external views are not meant to be used in DVX3. They are intended for third-party CAT tools, and are designed for this purpose only. When working when another DVX3 user, one has to use Satellite projects, which are meant to share the work between DVX3 users.

If you have to translate some DocBook multihundreds small xml docs, You will understand how good is to create xlf from initial projects and to translate them in another project with only few files.

There are another situations where such usage is preferred. xlf is smaller than satellite. If You don't add into project lexicons, own DB - satellite is not very helpful.

Xlf (or TMX as simple project file) - is a very preferred way to have some not big TM to see translation in full context or have an easy access to.

Guaranteed locked (or just locked segments) are imported in third-party CAT tools and displayed as locked (and the opposite is also true: DVX3 will import locked segments from third-party CAT tools and display them as such). This is the intended behavior. They won't be imported in DVX3 because of the way we deal with the translatable="no" attribute (we use it for different purposes). Then again, XLIFF EVs are not meant for interoperability with DVX3, but with other tools. Using XLIFF external views instead of satellite projects is bad practice.

So why You DO NOT Inform USER ABOUT his «bad» behaviour and expected problems?

That should not happen. Please send the XLIFF external view to [email protected] and we will check what happens and fix it.

But it does. I was very surprised when I see in exported 538 seg xlf only 228 segs (other were guaranteed)

Give that filter a name ("Next empty" for instance) then click on "Build Expression".
Check the "Emty" box under "Translation Status", click "OK" then "Add" and you are done!

I'll try, but I'm not a programmer

Do you know that you can also open single files on their own and that files names are displayed in the lower bar of the interface, so that you know which file you are translating exactly?

if only F F - nice, can look below to see filename

but if so FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
or so FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
(unfortunately i can't make them of different color)

But If filename is the same but only format differs - xml, html, doc, sdlxliff, xlf, txt

I am not sure I understood this one. Can you elaborate?
Feel also free aligning the final version of the exported file with the source file.

It's easy to understand. It's impossible, even with a preview, reviewing files in bilingual table so good as in original format with all illustrations etc.

Sometimes changes may be very significant. I want to have more easy way to put them in TM, than align.

Mikhailo, our Support Team is also available to address any questions or doubts about Deja Vu. This service is free of charge for users who purchase our software either via the TGB on www.proz.com or through the web store on www.atril.com (Proz.com users are entitled to an immediate 20% discount).

Kind regards,
Atril Team

[Edited at 2015-09-22 11:16 GMT]

From experience - the problem solving by producers is not very quick as somebody wants to see ready translation. So in 99% cases I try to find and find solution on different forums and usergroups.

So I post problem (and solution if I know) here so that another users can solve such problem in the future.
So from this viewpoint, the good idea is to post here Atril's solutions of the problems.

[Редактировалось 2015-09-22 15:34 GMT]

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re Sep 23, 2015

As I understand this way I can create FILTER, but can't change the CTRL(+ALT)+DOWN behaviour fron Go To NEXT UNPAINTED to Go To NEXT EMPTY (in unfiltered text).

If You don't want to do that give at least an opportunity to insert text in translation table like in Excel.
So Go to Next Empty will work through the filling empty with some symbols and successive search/find.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BUGS :(

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »