Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aug 21, 2015

Hello all DV users

I see DV has something called "internal repetition" in its statistics. What is that? Is it the same thing as "internal fuzzy matching" that some other CAT tools have, or is it something different?

Thanks
Samuel

Lbenito_atril
Lbenito_atril
The DVX3 User Guide Aug 21, 2015

The DVX3 User Guide offers this:

The percentage of internal repetition is a very helpful number for you to consider. To
arrive at this number, Déjà Vu X3 Workgroup looks at the project-internal repetition of
sub-segments. It analyzes all sub-segments of one, two or three words and gives you a
good indication whether features like AutoWrite or the Lex... See more
The DVX3 User Guide offers this:

The percentage of internal repetition is a very helpful number for you to consider. To
arrive at this number, Déjà Vu X3 Workgroup looks at the project-internal repetition of
sub-segments. It analyzes all sub-segments of one, two or three words and gives you a
good indication whether features like AutoWrite or the Lexicon would be helpful for
this project. As a rule of thumb, any number of 10% or higher can be considered
beneficial for those features.
To prevent the inclusion of words like articles or pronouns into this calculation, any word of three
characters or less is automatically ignored (except in Chinese, Japanese or Korean).
Collapse

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
What an outsourcer explained to me Aug 22, 2015

[...]

Our team has expanded the existing fuzzy matches with so-called 'internal' fuzzy matches. This is similar to the functionality that is already available in other CAT tools, such as SDL Trados.

[...]

A fuzzy match is a source segment for which a translated equivalent with a 75-99% match is found in the translation memory.

[...]

An internal fuzzy match is a source segment for which a fuzzy match with a 95-99% (or 85-94% / 75-8
... See more
[...]

Our team has expanded the existing fuzzy matches with so-called 'internal' fuzzy matches. This is similar to the functionality that is already available in other CAT tools, such as SDL Trados.

[...]

A fuzzy match is a source segment for which a translated equivalent with a 75-99% match is found in the translation memory.

[...]

An internal fuzzy match is a source segment for which a fuzzy match with a 95-99% (or 85-94% / 75-84%) match is found earlier in the same source text.

[...]

In some cases a segment can be both a fuzzy match and an internal fuzzy match.

[...]

Hope it could help?

Regards

[Modifié le 2015-08-22 08:39 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Adrien Aug 22, 2015

Adrien Esparron wrote:
What an outsourcer explained to me:
Hope it could help?

But... what you're saying is the opposite of what the DVX3 User Guide says.

From Lbenito's quote from the DVX3 User Guide I gather that "internal repetition" in DVX is something quite different from "internal fuzzy matching" done by other CAT tools.

A "fuzzy match" is a source segment for which a ... match is found in the translation memory. ... An "internal fuzzy match" is a source segment for which a ... match is found earlier in the same source text.

Yes, that broadly explains what the difference between external and internal fuzzy matching is. But is that also what "internal repetition" in DVX is?

Samuel

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:24
Finnish to French
Not supported in DV Aug 23, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:
I see DV has something called "internal repetition" in its statistics. What is that? Is it the same thing as "internal fuzzy matching" that some other CAT tools have, or is it something different?

As far as I can remember, DVX does not support internal fuzzy matches the way other tools do. You may want to have a look at this old video of mine:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/09/22/internal-fuzzy-matches-explained/

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Dominique Aug 23, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:
As far as I can remember, DVX does not support internal fuzzy matches the way other tools do.

What is your response to Rossana's post, then, which mentions that the thing in DV called "intra-project analysis" is what other tools call "internal fuzzy matching"?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:24
Finnish to French
What the manual says Aug 23, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:
What is your response to Rossana's post, then, which mentions that the thing in DV called "intra-project analysis" is what other tools call "internal fuzzy matching"?

You may want to have a look at the 593-page manual. It talks about intra-project analysis, inter-project analysis and internal repetitions. Not very clear to me, especially since there are mentions of segment-level and subsegment-level analysis. I don’t have a working copy of DVX3 installed right now, nor the time or interest to investigate the matter.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm, yes, very confusing Aug 23, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:
It talks about intra-project analysis, inter-project analysis and internal repetitions. Not very clear to me, especially since there are mentions of segment-level and subsegment-level analysis.

Yes, very confusing...

I don't have a working installation of DVX either (I get lots of unexpected error messages).

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DVX3 has internal fuzzy matches, confirmed Aug 24, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:
I don't have a working installation of DVX either...

I do have one now. I can confirm that DVX3 has internal fuzzy matching that works the same as that of the other CAT tools (that is in addition to the "internal repetition" feature, which counts something else). To get to it, use Project > Analyze, and select "Intra-Project Analysis".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is "internal repetition"?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »