Thread poster: Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:18
German to English
+ ...
Mar 14, 2009

Since Drew and others have expressed an interest in trying to revive the dormant wiki project, I spent a little time familiarizing myself with the editing tools and created a small article for Déjà Vu. I can't figure out how to get the URL with the colon to work here in the forum, so you'll have to get there from the main page (http://www.proz.com/prozwiki/Main_Page) via the alphabetical list, e... See more
Since Drew and others have expressed an interest in trying to revive the dormant wiki project, I spent a little time familiarizing myself with the editing tools and created a small article for Déjà Vu. I can't figure out how to get the URL with the colon to work here in the forum, so you'll have to get there from the main page (http://www.proz.com/prozwiki/Main_Page) via the alphabetical list, etc.

It is by no means comprehensive and covers just a few points as well as lists some useful links. I invite others in the community to expand on this to create a more comprehensive reference to which we might refer and avoid some repetitive questions.
Collapse

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:18
English to Japanese
+ ...
Thanks! ... and some links broken Mar 14, 2009

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for creating the Déjà Vu page! Hope this will become our DV-fans' useful (and bragging) space!

I don't know wiki grammar fully yet, and so I didn't go in to totally mess up the article. Just want you to know that, the links under "How to" and "Related Links" all contain a vertical line "|" at the end, and this is causing some links to point to "page not found." I don't know how it
... See more
Hi Kevin,

Thank you for creating the Déjà Vu page! Hope this will become our DV-fans' useful (and bragging) space!

I don't know wiki grammar fully yet, and so I didn't go in to totally mess up the article. Just want you to know that, the links under "How to" and "Related Links" all contain a vertical line "|" at the end, and this is causing some links to point to "page not found." I don't know how it got there...

Regards,
Rie
Collapse

David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:18
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
A quicker link Mar 14, 2009

I can't figure out how to get the URL with the colon to work here in the forum

Tinyurl.com is good for dealing with things like this, and produces this link (http://tinyurl.com/ahuyrl) to the page.

Hope that helps!

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:18
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Baffling wiki grammar Mar 14, 2009

I'll have to take a look at a few other pages and clean up those links. This is my first stab at doing anything with a wiki page, and I am having a rough time getting the syntax sorted out. Too bad ordinary HTML markup isn't possible. I did a double-take when I saw that triple single quotes were needed to bold text.

I've been planning to translate a number of Wikipedia pages on various old professors of mine in Saarbrücken for months, but lack of time to deal with the syntax has ke
... See more
I'll have to take a look at a few other pages and clean up those links. This is my first stab at doing anything with a wiki page, and I am having a rough time getting the syntax sorted out. Too bad ordinary HTML markup isn't possible. I did a double-take when I saw that triple single quotes were needed to bold text.

I've been planning to translate a number of Wikipedia pages on various old professors of mine in Saarbrücken for months, but lack of time to deal with the syntax has kept me inactive.

In any case, we've got a lot of useful advice in the archive of this forum; it would be nice if some of it could be distilled into appropriate sections or linked there so that it is more easily accessed. "More easily" assumes, of course, that the wiki can be found. Apparently ProZ is concerned that the server will choke if too many people use the wiki functions. At least that's what I picked up in one of Drew's posts.

Edited to add:

The links are fixed now - it seems those pipe characters weren't needed for external links after all.

[Edited at 2009-03-14 18:05 GMT]
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 17:18
SITE STAFF
Thanks Kevin! Mar 16, 2009

Hello all,

Great Kevin, thanks for the contribution, and it's good to see you got the links sorted out. It can take a bit to get used to the wiki formatting; for those who are not familiar with it, remember that you have basic formatting options on the buttons at the top of the edit for (title, bold, italics, internal or external links, etc.). A couple of helpful pages for creating a
... See more
Hello all,

Great Kevin, thanks for the contribution, and it's good to see you got the links sorted out. It can take a bit to get used to the wiki formatting; for those who are not familiar with it, remember that you have basic formatting options on the buttons at the top of the edit for (title, bold, italics, internal or external links, etc.). A couple of helpful pages for creating and editing articles can be found at http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:FAQ#Basic_usage and http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Editing

Using existing information and advice from the forum and adding to Kevin's initial article is a an excellent idea-- any takers?

Also, if anyone needs help with creating and article, editing or formatting, just let me know.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wiki for Déjà Vu

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »