Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28] >
“龙”的英文应该翻译成 Loong - 转发 (A Chinese Teacher Suggests that "Dragon" should be written as "Loong")
Thread poster: Libin PhD
hj58
hj58
Local time: 18:46
English
4,李小龙的英文名字有两个:Bruce Lee 和 Lee Siu Loong Apr 7, 2006

4,李小龙的英文名字有两个:Bruce Lee 和 Lee Siu Loong,前者的使用率高得多,所以一般的人以为只有一个。

http://www.soup-brucelee.co.jp/html/IUMA/0502_LeeSiu.html

Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
聽說這問題尚未解決 Apr 7, 2006

chance wrote:

有一点小小的疑问,我觉得现在的法国年轻人缺少的正是组织纪律、集体观念和奋斗精神,这些也是现在这里的社会和经济危机的部分原因。

此外,我女儿从来不认为她们这代人无组织无纪律是个缺点,这下就更给她找到理论根据了;)

聽說,孔夫子說的「民可使由之不可使知之」這十個字的斷句問題至今尚未解決。

到底是「民可使由之,不可使知之。」呢?還是「民可,使由之;不可,使知之。」?

如果你的女兒中文學到可以分辨這兩種斷句法實質區別的地步,而且很篤定告訴你是後者,那麼她根本不需要紀律。

hj58
hj58
English
你们不赞同 Loong 也没关系,我的目的仍然达到了 Apr 7, 2006

你们不赞同 Loong 也没关系,我的目的仍然达到了

以后当有外国人问起“what's the meaning of Loong?”

你们就不会因为说“I don't know”,而在外国人面前显得孤陋寡闻、词汇量不足,而是可以告诉他们:

“Some loony Chinese fools think Chinese Dragon is quite different from Dragon, so they suggest that "Dragon" should be written as "Loong"----the transliteration of Chinese character of Dragon. But don't take it serious, let's forget the Loong.”

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:46
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
道德與法理 Apr 7, 2006

敬告同業同仁﹕此欄部份討論已被黃教授轉貼在LOONG頁上,這是否涉及道德與法理的問題,希望知道網主的立場。pkchan

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
何须多此一问? Apr 7, 2006

有空来广东看看香港电视……

香港的反动电台造谣说,大清空军飞机于海南文昌坠……吸烟危害健康!

答案一清二楚:民可使由之,不可使知之!

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

聽說,孔夫子說的「民可使由之不可使知之」這十個字的斷句問題至今尚未解決。

到底是「民可使由之,不可使知之。」呢?還是「民可,使由之;不可,使知之。」?

如果你的女兒中文學到可以分辨這兩種斷句法實質區別的地步,而且很篤定告訴你是後者,那麼她根本不需要紀律。

hj58
hj58
English
嘿嘿,这里怎么这么顶真的? Apr 7, 2006

你怎么不置疑楼主把我的帖子转贴在这里来是不是合法和符合道德规范呢?

网络的基本精神就是自由的传播,只要不涉及商业性使用,只要是以交流思想和知识为目的,应该尽量宽松,搞得这么顶真干什么?你从来不把其他地方的帖子转贴过来?

看来这里并不合适进行自由的思想交流和讨论。

罢罢罢!俺惹不起但躲得起!俺立马去删除喽!

顺便说一句,俺黄某人写的东西、画的东西,大家尽管在网上随便传播,俺不但不介意,还感激不尽。

pkchan wrote:

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:46
English to Chinese
+ ...
这种说法未免有失教授风度 Apr 7, 2006

这种说法未免有失教授风度。难道只有主张Loong者才是博学多闻?只有别出心裁杜撰新词者才是词汇量丰富?不知你达到什么光彩目的了?我想一定不是哗众取宠吧?

hj58 wrote:

“Some loony Chinese fools think Chinese Dragon is quite different from Dragon, so they suggest that "Dragon" should be written as "Loong"----the transliteration of Chinese character of Dragon. But don't take it serious, let's forget the Loong.”

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
When it comes to nit-picking, I could be second to none. Apr 7, 2006

Now wake up, and take a look. The following is cited from the Encyclopaedia Britannica:
legendary monster usually conceived as a huge, bat-winged, fire-breathing, scaly lizard or snake with a barbed tail. The belief in these creatures apparently arose without the slightest knowledge on the part ofthe ancients of the gigantic, prehistoric, dragon-like reptiles. In Greece the word drakōn, from which the English word was derived, was used originally for any large se
... See more
Now wake up, and take a look. The following is cited from the Encyclopaedia Britannica:
legendary monster usually conceived as a huge, bat-winged, fire-breathing, scaly lizard or snake with a barbed tail. The belief in these creatures apparently arose without the slightest knowledge on the part ofthe ancients of the gigantic, prehistoric, dragon-like reptiles. In Greece the word drakōn, from which the English word was derived, was used originally for any large serpent (see sea serpent), and the dragon of mythology, whatever shape it later assumed, remained essentially a snake.
In general, in the Middle Eastern world, where snakes are large and deadly, the serpent or dragon was symbolic of the principle of evil. Thus, the Egyptian god Apepi, for example, was the great serpent of the world of darkness. But the Greeks and Romans, though accepting the Middle Eastern idea of the serpent as an evil power, also at times conceived the drakontes as beneficent powers—sharp-eyed dwellers in the inner parts of the Earth. On the whole, however, the evil reputation of dragons was the stronger, and in Europe it outlived the other. Christianityconfused the ancient benevolent and malevolent serpent deities in a common condemnation. InChristian art the dragon came to be symbolic of sin and paganism and, as such, was depicted prostrate beneath the heels of saints and martyrs.
The dragon's form varied from the earliest times. The Chaldean dragon Tiamat had four legs, a scaly body, and wings, whereas the biblical dragon of Revelation, “the old serpent,” was many-headed like the Greek Hydra. Because they not only possessed both protective and terror-inspiring qualities but also had decorative effigies, dragons were early used as warlike emblems. Thus, in the Iliad, King Agamemnon had on his shield a blue three-headed snake, just as the Norse warriors in later times painted dragons on their shields and carved dragons' heads on the prows of their ships. In England before the Norman Conquest, the dragon was chief among the royal ensigns in war, having been instituted as such by Uther Pendragon, father of King Arthur. In the 20th century the dragon was officially incorporated in the armorial bearings of the prince of Wales.
In the Far East, the dragon managed to retain its prestige and is known as a beneficent creature. The Chinese dragon, lung (q.v.), represented yang, the principle of heaven, activity, and maleness in the yin-yang (q.v.) of Chinese cosmology. From ancient times, it was the emblem of the Imperial family, and until the founding of the republic (1911) the dragon adorned the Chinese flag. The dragon came to Japan with much of the rest of Chinese culture, and there (as ryū or tatsu) it became capable of changing its size at will, even to the point of becoming invisible. Both Chinese and Japanese dragons, though regarded as powers of the air,are usually wingless. They are among the deified forces of nature in Taoism.
The term dragon has no zoological meaning, but it has been applied in the Latin generic name Draco to a number of species of small lizards found in the Indo-Malayan region. The name is also popularly applied to the giant monitor, Varanus komodoensis, discovered on Komodo, in Indonesia.

hj58 wrote:

你怎么不置疑楼主把我的帖子转贴在这里来是不是合法和符合道德规范呢?

网络的基本精神就是自由的传播,只要不涉及商业性使用,只要是以交流思想和知识为目的,应该尽量宽松,搞得这么顶真干什么?你从来不把其他地方的帖子转贴过来?

看来这里并不合适进行自由的思想交流和讨论。

罢罢罢!俺惹不起但躲得起!俺立马去删除喽!

顺便说一句,俺黄某人写的东西、画的东西,大家尽管在网上随便传播,俺不但不介意,还感激不尽。

pkchan wrote:

[Edited at 2006-04-07 17:42]
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:46
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Please focus on presenting facts and be appreciative when reading other peers discussions. Apr 7, 2006

hj58 wrote:

Prof. Huang,

I do not appreciate that you used expressions such as “孤陋寡闻” and “词汇量不足” when you were referring to those Chinese translators abroad. What you are pushing for is not a rocket science and what you know is not necessarily more than what we do here. I would appreciate if you could focus on presenting facts and be appreciative when reading other peers discussions. It is not wise for you to be so defensive and jumping into conclusions or presumptions. My colleagues here including me are looking at you as a respectful professor, rather than a self-employed performer at the Tianqiao Bazaar.

While I am having your attention, can you please tell us what research you have done or what supporting facts you have to backup your conclusion that the English word “dragon” carries so many negative meanings that your must differentiate it by creating a new word for the Chinese dragon?

I am doing a quick poll here in this website, and I do not know when it will be posted. I hope I can get some answers from the translators of all languages in the world.

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-04-07 19:22]

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:46
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
十分感謝黃教授尊重道德與法理 Apr 7, 2006

十分感謝黃教授,經後學指出要尊重道德與法理後,在LOONG頁上注明了貼子的出處。有機會受業於黃教授門下,是晚生的榮幸。pkchan

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thank you, PKChan for bringing it to my attention! Apr 7, 2006

pkchan wrote:

Thank you, PKChan for bringing it to my attention!

I think it should be fine if he posted the link of this discussion in other places. The peer here quoted his article as well for us to see what he is talking about. He can do the same if he needs to do so. It would be helpful if he can also let his readers know this is a website for the professional translators all over the world.

Kevin

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Dragon in the eyes of American people Apr 7, 2006

Have you heard and seen this dragon stamp issued by the US Post Office in 2000? This is one of the 12 stamps in the award-winning Lunar New Year series issued by the US Post Office.

For details, see:
http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&productId=16825&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=13370

This is the eighth stamp in the award-winning Lunar New Year series. (The first stamp in the series was Year of the Rooster, followed by Year of the Dog, Boar, Rat, Ox, Tiger, and Hare.) The dragon is the fifth of twelve animals associated with the Chinese lunar calendar. A good-natured creature in Chinese tradition, the dragon is an auspicious symbol representing power and nobility. People born in the Year of the Dragon are described as having a strong and energetic character; they are self-confident and curious, and they work toward perfection. The Lunar New Year is celebrated by people of Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Tibetan, and Mongolian heritage.

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Good point Apr 7, 2006

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Have you heard and seen this dragon stamp issued by the US Post Office in 2000? This is one of the 12 stamps in the award-winning Lunar New Year series issued by the US Post Office.

Yueyin,

Very good example. I was thinking about that one, too. Your mind is ahead of mine, as always.

Kevin

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Are dragons getting a bad name? Apr 7, 2006

Kevin Yang wrote:

While I am having your attention, can you please tell us what research you have done or what supporting facts you have to backup your conclusion that the English word “dragon” carries so many negative meanings that your must differentiate it by creating a new word for the Chinese dragon?

That's a good question. Dragons are mythical creatures to begin with, so do they always conjure up images of evil and ugliness in western cultures? I don't know if that's necessarily true.

For example, "Puff, the Magic Dragon" is a popular children's song that's about an imaginary dragon that signifies childhood innocence.

Also, Eliott the dragon is depicted as a boy's guardian angel in Disney's 1977 movie "Pete's Dragon". There's no lack of friendly dragons/dinosaurs in TV programs for kids.

http://www.smile-a-day.com/puff.shtml
http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/puff.htm

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/petesdragon.html

IMO, most Americans have enough exposure to Chinese culture to know that the dragon symbolizes might, prosperity, good luck and happiness, etc.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
We don't need to worry at all! Apr 7, 2006

Kevin Yang wrote:

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Yueyin,

Very good example. I was thinking about that one, too. Your mind is ahead of mine, as always.

Kevin

Kevin,

Thank you! This is just a typical example indicating that the Americans understand the Chinese culture. wherestip also made a very good point by the following words:

IMO, most Americans have enough exposure to Chinese culture to know that the dragon symbolizes might, prosperity, good luck and happiness, etc.

When I lived in Los Angeles, during each Spring Festival, I always saw the American people with different political and cultural backgrounds and with different skin colors, including many US government officials, came to celebrate the Chinese New Year with the Chinese immigrants or descendants in the streets of Los Angeles (also in New York, San Francisco, Boston, Houston and many other US cities). They joined the parade and enjoyed dragon dances. They know very well what this is about. Even the US presidents always make a particular speech on such an occasion to those who celebrate the Spring Festival. I don't worry at all that the Americans would consider us as descendants of a devil.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

“龙”的英文应该翻译成 Loong - 转发 (A Chinese Teacher Suggests that "Dragon" should be written as "Loong")

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »