Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Are you managing to use AI in your work, to your benefit and the benefit of your clients?
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:33
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
What is happening here???? Nov 7, 2023

I am reading this thread with a growing amazement. I started out as a translator because I love languages, to play with it, to find linguistic solutions, etc., but the biggest translator platform (if you still can call it as such) is advocating 'robot technology'.

Sure, it will in the end speed up our work (not to say take over our jobs), but where is the spirit, the reason I (and I am sure many more of us) started out in this business? To get rich? Don't make me laugh.

... See more
I am reading this thread with a growing amazement. I started out as a translator because I love languages, to play with it, to find linguistic solutions, etc., but the biggest translator platform (if you still can call it as such) is advocating 'robot technology'.

Sure, it will in the end speed up our work (not to say take over our jobs), but where is the spirit, the reason I (and I am sure many more of us) started out in this business? To get rich? Don't make me laugh.

If I am going to be reduced as a sidekick of some machine that does the job for me, I quit.

[Edited at 2023-11-07 20:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-11-07 21:17 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
ibz
Metin Demirel
Maria Rosa Fontana
Adieu
Jean Dimitriadis
Barbara Carrara

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:33
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Robert! Nov 8, 2023

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

... the biggest translator platform (if you still can call it as such) is advocating 'robot technology'.

I wouldn't say so. Personally, what I would advocate at this point is informing oneself about it, and using it to the extent one determines that it is useful in one's work.

If I am going to be reduced as a sidekick of some machine that does the job for me, I quit.

I guess you are not the only one feeling that way!

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:33
English to French
+ ...
Benefit - HTML rubbish remover Nov 16, 2023

Benefit as a translator,

I was able to use BING (COPILOT) to create a system that integrates in Microsoft Word and removes HTML tags and converts HTML entities (those weird & and so forth). Took me a while, but now it's working solid. Will definitely be my go-to after converting a pdf to docx for preparation.
Now that's what I call using it to my advantage

See the tracked changes showing before and after here:
html-cleaner

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Party tricks Nov 16, 2023

Tried ChatGPT (what other AI are we talking about, Bard?), sure it can perform cool party tricks likely to amuse the gallery, and some skills can be marginally useful in real translator life situations, but in my line of work it's more a distraction and a hustle than anything else. In the end, I'm not paid for the gadgets I use, and I have other hobbies.

PS: Cal Newport has a good explanation on how a professional goes about tool selection in his book Deep Work, under the chapter Qu
... See more
Tried ChatGPT (what other AI are we talking about, Bard?), sure it can perform cool party tricks likely to amuse the gallery, and some skills can be marginally useful in real translator life situations, but in my line of work it's more a distraction and a hustle than anything else. In the end, I'm not paid for the gadgets I use, and I have other hobbies.

PS: Cal Newport has a good explanation on how a professional goes about tool selection in his book Deep Work, under the chapter Quit Social Media.

[Edited at 2023-11-16 18:01 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Michele Fauble

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Here's why I can't use AI for my translations Nov 17, 2023

Italian source:

Nel 1969 quando mio padre lo prese in gestione era veramente fatiscente, la prima cosa che fece fu comprare una Rolls-Royce d’epoca, una Silver Shadow, e la mise davanti all’ingresso con un autista vestito come si faceva una volta. In quegli anni a Milano iniziava a fiorire la moda, così un giorno ho chiamato Riccardo Gay e gli ho offerto le nostre stanze a un prezzaccio perché ci mandasse le sue modelle a dormire. In un attimo avevamo tutti gli uomini più aff
... See more
Italian source:

Nel 1969 quando mio padre lo prese in gestione era veramente fatiscente, la prima cosa che fece fu comprare una Rolls-Royce d’epoca, una Silver Shadow, e la mise davanti all’ingresso con un autista vestito come si faceva una volta. In quegli anni a Milano iniziava a fiorire la moda, così un giorno ho chiamato Riccardo Gay e gli ho offerto le nostre stanze a un prezzaccio perché ci mandasse le sue modelle a dormire. In un attimo avevamo tutti gli uomini più affascinanti della città.

My translation:

When my father took over the hotel in 1969 it was really falling to pieces. The first thing he did was buy a vintage Rolls-Royce, a Silver Shadow, and park it in front of the entrance, with a chauffeur dressed in the way they used to be. At that time in Milan the fashion business was beginning to take off, so one day I called Riccardo Gay and offered him our rooms at a very low rate so that he would send his models to stay here. Suddenly all the most desirable men in town started coming by.

Chat GPT:

In 1969 when my father took over, it was really run-down, the first thing he did was buy a vintage Rolls-Royce, a Silver Shadow, and placed it in front of the entrance with a driver dressed as it was done once. In those years, fashion was beginning to flourish in Milan, so one day I called Riccardo Gay and offered him our rooms at a low price to send his models to sleep. In an instant, we had all the most fascinating men in the city.
Collapse

Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
P.L.F. Persio
David Urdiales

kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 14:33
English to Russian
ChatGPT deciphers abbreviations very well Nov 17, 2023

I already wrote about it here.
It is a lifesaver when it comes to deciphering a rare abbreviation in a narrow field.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:33
English to Russian
Totally agree with that Nov 17, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:
From what I've seen, DeepL, Language Weaver, and Modern MT manage to be much better than ChatGPT
I can say for sure that in my language pair, EN<>>RU, DeepL is way-way better than ChatGPT-whatever-number-it-is.

I translated the title of this thread: Are you managing to use AI in your work, to your benefit and the benefit of your clients?
Unfortunately you can't feel the difference but there is a chasm between these two:
ChatGPT: Вы умеете использовать искусственный интеллект в своей работе, в свою пользу и в пользу ваших клиентов? (This is absolute garbage.)
DeepL: Удается ли вам использовать искусственный интеллект в своей работе с пользой для себя и своих клиентов? (This translation is perfect. I don't need to change anything here.)

===
And just for fun:
There is a web site, machinetranslation.com, that offers output from 7 different MT engines and evaluates the result. When I tested it, I found that it seemed to strongly favor Modern MT because even though two different MT engines gave exactly the same output, ModernMT got 10 scores (maximum possible) and the second engine got just 8.5:

Nice =)
===
And when I don't have any job, I use AI for entertainment:

[Edited at 2023-11-17 21:47 GMT]

expressisverbis
Tom in London

DeepL Nov 24, 2023

In my short experience using DeepL, it has proven to be better than ChatGTP. Some conjugations were no coherent, but it seems you can fix that in the paid version.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:33
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Rubbish remover? Nov 27, 2023

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Benefit as a translator,

I was able to use BING (COPILOT) to create a system that integrates in Microsoft Word and removes HTML tags and converts HTML entities (those weird & and so forth). Took me a while, but now it's working solid. Will definitely be my go-to after converting a pdf to docx for preparation.
Now that's what I call using it to my advantage

See the tracked changes showing before and after here:
html-cleaner

The rubbish here IMHO is ChatGPT! Is it also able to remove itself? Then it definitely has a function.

[Edited at 2023-11-27 13:22 GMT]

Hayley Wakenshaw
Hayley Wakenshaw  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
Dutch to English
AI has improved my work hugely Nov 28, 2023

I love AI, and I use it in many ways, both personally and professionally:

As a grammar checker: For those times when you wish you could ask Grammarly questions to dig deeper and make sure you really are expressing something correctly.

As a rewriting tool: It tends to be sickeningly ‘purple’. But often, even those florid, wordy rewrites are the sparks that enable me to rewrite the sentences I am struggling with. It’s very good at making me sound politer than I feel
... See more
I love AI, and I use it in many ways, both personally and professionally:

As a grammar checker: For those times when you wish you could ask Grammarly questions to dig deeper and make sure you really are expressing something correctly.

As a rewriting tool: It tends to be sickeningly ‘purple’. But often, even those florid, wordy rewrites are the sparks that enable me to rewrite the sentences I am struggling with. It’s very good at making me sound politer than I feel, too.

As a translation tool: GTP can be surprisingly insightful when the copywriter’s intent or even meaning is not entirely clear. And it’s great as a terminology tool. In the past, I’ve spent several hours trying to find a single term. Now, I can’t imagine that being necessary.

As a researcher: Yes, you do need to check the results with your own research. But it’s still been a game changer. No more reading several long chunks of text; I can ask GPT to find or extract the information I need.

As a brainstorming partner: For all sorts of things. Having a conversation with it can lead to the kind of ideas and realisations you might usually only have when talking to a colleague.

Translation rates have been stagnant for years. Before GPT, I sometimes struggled to earn minimum wage. Since GPT, my hourly rate has improved enormously.

Although I feel like I spend ridiculous amounts of time making sure the words I feed it are anonymised, it still allows me to work faster. I spend less time on research, cogitating, and deciphering unclear wording, giving me more time to create a more polished target text.

[Edited at 2023-11-28 17:54 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Christopher Schröder

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Clearly experiences vary Nov 28, 2023

Hayley Wakenshaw wrote:
I love AI, and I use it in many ways, both personally and professionally

I shall have a ponder about the use cases you mention if/when work lets up. I think I've tried most of them and in my pair the results were too inconsistent (or just plain wrong) to be able to justify the time taken. But maybe I've missed something and just need to improve my prompt engineering chops.

Anyway, I am glad to hear it's made such a difference and I applaud you for having the courage to offer a dissenting voice!

Dan

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Anne Seerup

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Are you managing to use AI in your work, to your benefit and the benefit of your clients?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »