Thread poster: Gerhard Wiesinger
Gerhard Wiesinger
Gerhard Wiesinger  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:30
English to German
+ ...
Feb 17, 2018

Hi, I updated Java today to version 8 update 161 (build 1.8.0-161-b12) and CafeTran crashed several times since then. The the message "Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the problem ..." pops up.
My CafeTran version is 2017122602-Forerunner 2018
I am a translator, not a tech guy and hope someone can offer a solution that does not require digging into the guts of my computer.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Install a fresh Java and a fresh CafeTran Espresso 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Visit the Oracle page Java SE Runtime Environment 9 Downloads, currently located at:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre9-downloads-3848532.html

Download the file jre-9.0.4_windows-x64_bin.exe and install it, to get Java 9 on your Windows 64 computer. (At least, I hope that you have Windows 64 runn
... See more
Visit the Oracle page Java SE Runtime Environment 9 Downloads, currently located at:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre9-downloads-3848532.html

Download the file jre-9.0.4_windows-x64_bin.exe and install it, to get Java 9 on your Windows 64 computer. (At least, I hope that you have Windows 64 running ...)

Download the newest version of CafeTran Espresso 2018 at:

https://www.cafetran.com/download-for-windows-pc/

Make sure to install the new CafeTran Espresso 2018 in a separate folder, to isolate it from your old one. Also, make sure to click the correct icon to launch the new version, instead of the old one.

Note that you will need to update your license, because of the new installation path.

Do some tests with CafeTran Espresso 2018. If the new installation is stable, I could give you some instructions to copy the user files from your old installation to the new one. But that's the part where it starts to get geeky.

Update: I just tested the procedure above on a HP Pavilion with Windows 10 Home. I made sure to add '2018' to the suggested installation path, to separate it from the older version of CafeTran Espresso.

During the set up of Java 9, you are being asked whether you want to remove any older versions of Java. If you are absolutely sure that no other Java software is running on your computer, that requires any older version of Java, it looks like a good advice to remove all older versions of Java. (This won't touch your old CafeTran Espresso.)

Good luck!

Licensed

[Edited at 2018-02-18 18:02 GMT]
Collapse

Peggy Briggs
Peggy Briggs  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:30
English to Swedish
+ ...
Worked for me Mar 7, 2018

I have the same problem and this fix worked for me, thanks!

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Your old user files Mar 8, 2018

Peggy Hansén wrote:

I have the same problem and this fix worked for me, thanks!

Good to hear!

See also: https://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/323062-copying_user_files_to_a_new_installation_of_cafetran_espresso_2018.html

If you want to save your customer dictionaries, abbreviation lists, text shortcuts etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updated Java today, now Cafetran crashes

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »