How to deal with not-translated segments?
Thread poster: JParkBod
JParkBod
JParkBod
Germany
Local time: 08:07
English to Korean
+ ...
Jul 27, 2017

Hi all,

I am currently working on a proofreading assignment, and I found numerous segments that are not translated.
This project is solely assigned to me as a proofreading task, but I also provide translation service for the very same client.

Could you please kindly give me some advice what to do?
E.g. to ask them to pay me more to complete the missing translation OR to return the file to the translator and make him/her finish it?
Which is more appropr
... See more
Hi all,

I am currently working on a proofreading assignment, and I found numerous segments that are not translated.
This project is solely assigned to me as a proofreading task, but I also provide translation service for the very same client.

Could you please kindly give me some advice what to do?
E.g. to ask them to pay me more to complete the missing translation OR to return the file to the translator and make him/her finish it?
Which is more appropriate and professional?

Thank you very much in advance!
Collapse

Alessandra Chiappini
Alessandra Chiappini  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Ask the agency what to so Jul 27, 2017

Hi,
I would contact the agency and point out the issue.
They will decide then what to do, return to the linguist or let you complete the task (and paying you for the extra task).

Best,
Alessandra

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask the agency and offer your help Jul 27, 2017

By all means, ask your customer about it. Maybe they have sent you an unfinished file by mistake, or perhaps leaving specific segments untranslated was in the instructions for this job. Maybe you could ask the customer for the instructions given to the translator, so that you can take them into account as well.

Also, if the segments indeed need translation and the translator is no longer available or cannot react quickly enough, offer your help to translate them, perhaps charging by
... See more
By all means, ask your customer about it. Maybe they have sent you an unfinished file by mistake, or perhaps leaving specific segments untranslated was in the instructions for this job. Maybe you could ask the customer for the instructions given to the translator, so that you can take them into account as well.

Also, if the segments indeed need translation and the translator is no longer available or cannot react quickly enough, offer your help to translate them, perhaps charging by the extra time needed to translate them or, if they are really very many, by the wordcount.

Customers generally need problems solved, so the more ready you are to help, the more chances you will be hired as the translator next time, which probably pays more for you financially.

Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to deal with not-translated segments?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »