Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
In which CAT tool can I select specific Excel columns?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:12
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
WFP of course Oct 15, 2012

Sorry I did not see your post earlier, Sam. WFP is the tool of choice. I use it always for this kind of jobs. You still need to hide the rows you do not have to translate (if there are), otherwise you do more work than you get paid for.

Before there was WFP I used to copy the column into Word and translated there. Then I copied the translation back using Open Office Calc instead of Excel. That avoids the well known problem of creating extra rows. Calc is more compatible to Word tha
... See more
Sorry I did not see your post earlier, Sam. WFP is the tool of choice. I use it always for this kind of jobs. You still need to hide the rows you do not have to translate (if there are), otherwise you do more work than you get paid for.

Before there was WFP I used to copy the column into Word and translated there. Then I copied the translation back using Open Office Calc instead of Excel. That avoids the well known problem of creating extra rows. Calc is more compatible to Word than Excel, I wrote this already years ago.

But since I have WFP I use OpenOffice only for creating pdf from Word-files.
Collapse

ohemulen
ohemulen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:12
Member (2011)
French to Finnish
+ ...
WFP can do it Oct 15, 2012

WFP allows you to set up various source and translatable columns, so should work. I've had a couple of cases, however, where the programme can't cope with the size of the file - well over 20,000 lines of text, and several columns. There, I see no alternative to simply translating directly into the file, although would very much appreciate if someone has any experiences of dealing with this.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WFP take 2 Oct 15, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
I have some files that I'm sure many other translators must have seen -- they contain content in various rows and columns, but the source text is in e.g. column D and the translation must appear in e.g. column H.

I see Wordfast Pro can do it:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UsPYscWH5A
In my case, the translation is already done, and I have to edit it.

By the looks of it, Wordfast Pro can't do that. Am I right?

I tested it a bit -- if you identify column A as the source text and column B as the target text, WFP will create a TXML file with the content from column A in the source column, but it will not place any existing text from column B in the TXML's target column. However, if you know which segments are already translated, and you translate only the new segments in WFP, WFP will retain the content in column B that was there before you started the translation.

So... close, but no cigar.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On copy/pasting columns Oct 15, 2012

Walter Moura wrote:
In order to put the translation of Column A in Column B, you will have to copy Column A to B.

This only works if (a) there are no hidden rows and (b) column B doesn't have any content yet. What I often find, though, is that the client hides certain rows, or that some of the segments are already translated and I must just do an update.

Also, the nature of Excel jobs is that you can't simply take the existing translations and create a TM and re-translate it. Take a look at this example:

Column A:
Make
Model
Series
Brand
Brand
Brand
Brand
Supplier

Column B:
Fabrikant
[empty]
[empty]
Ford
Toyota
Nissan
[empty]
General Motors

...and you must translate the empty cells.

The reason why hidden rows is a problem is that when you select and copy, it does not copy the hidden rows, but when you paste, it pastes content into the hidden rows. For example, if you have this:

One
Two
Three [hidden]
Four
Five

...and you copy and paste it into the next column, you'll get this:

One
Two
Four [hidden]
Five

...because it doesn't copy from the "Three" row but it does paste into it.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:12
English to Turkish
+ ...
WFP is not a solution for "translated" files Oct 15, 2012

Kristina Thorne wrote:

WFP allows you to set up various source and translatable columns, so should work.

Hi Kristina,

WFP does not work when the file is partially or completely translated.

Samuel Murray wrote:
In my case, the translation is already done, and I have to edit it.

By the way it seems that WF is really popular among Finnish translators.

Passolo's Excel Parser can import existing translations (even those with extra carriage returns) but afaik it does not import formatting.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On hiding columns/rows Oct 15, 2012

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
You still need to hide the rows you do not have to translate (if there are)...

The problem with the column hiding hack is that if there are already hidden columns or rows, you have to keep careful track of which columns the client had hidden and which columns you hide, so that you can rehide the client's columns after you have unhidden your hidden columns. As far as I know, you can't tell Excel "unhide only columns that I have hidden (not columns that other users have hidden)". And then you have to keep notes about this for every worksheet...

Cedomir Pusica
Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Selecting columns Oct 15, 2012

Hi Samuel,

I know you can select the columns you want to import into your new project with memoQ.

However, you would have to import the same file twice (once you import the original, then add it to LiveDocs, and then import the translated columns and add it in LiveDocs as Alignment pair).

Then you could go back to the project with only the source text and enter the suggestions that appear on the right (it reports that these are 85% correct due to default se
... See more
Hi Samuel,

I know you can select the columns you want to import into your new project with memoQ.

However, you would have to import the same file twice (once you import the original, then add it to LiveDocs, and then import the translated columns and add it in LiveDocs as Alignment pair).

Then you could go back to the project with only the source text and enter the suggestions that appear on the right (it reports that these are 85% correct due to default settings) for each segment and modify it if necessary.

I don't know if you find this useful...
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:12
English to Turkish
+ ...
ASAP Utilities Oct 15, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

The problem with the column hiding hack is that if there are already hidden columns or rows, you have to keep careful track of which columns the client had hidden and which columns you hide, so that you can rehide the client's columns after you have unhidden your hidden columns. As far as I know, you can't tell Excel "unhide only columns that I have hidden (not columns that other users have hidden)". And then you have to keep notes about this for every worksheet...

ASAP Utilities may help to unhide columns hidden by you

ASAP Utilities > 6. Columns & Rows > 9. View and Manage Hidden rows and columns

Châu Nguyễn
Châu Nguyễn  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 17:12
Member (2012)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
smartcat.ai can do it Aug 22, 2017

well if you don't mind switching CAT-tool than smartcat.ai is your best choice. It handles MS Excel files exceptionally well. You can choose the tab or even the cells you want to translate. Best choice to handle multilingual excel files.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In which CAT tool can I select specific Excel columns?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »